Should I leave Fridge on Between Trips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kportra

We generally go for 3-5 days a couple times a month during the summer.  I usually empty the fridge between trips and we park it in the backyard.  We do leave it plugged in most of the time.  Would it hurt anything (longevity of the fridge) to leave it on between trips so I could leave the condiments in the trailer?  It would be level.

Since you are using for a couple trips a month I see no reason not to leave it on. Just check on it a least once a week.

We have left ours on in all the RVs we have owned since we got an RV garage 8 years ago. We have never had a problem. You do need to defrost the freezer occasionally. We usually make at least one trip a month. In between, DW uses the RV freezer as a back up when the household fridge gets overfull.

It will be fine as long as the RV is level (you said it was).  Where you'll have problems is if the refrigerator is left on while the RV is off level.

If you have a power outage (or someone kicks out the RV's power plug) the refrigerator will revert to gas operation.  It will run several months on propane before it drains the tank, but the trailer's battery will go dead in a week or so, shutting down the fridge until power is restored.

Before we went full time we always left the RV refrig on so we could go somewhere at a moments notice.  Also it gave us a place to keep extra beverages cool when we were expecting company.

Back
Top Bottom