Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilothawk

Yes, I understand that water is a continuing threat to the longevity of a camper...but I?m not sure how to judge what I see.

Found a Class A I really want...BUT...I found water stains in the ceiling liner in the bedroom, bathroom, and the area above the dining room.  I think the skylight in the shower is where most of the water issues originate. 

Additionally, there has been enough water on one side of the bedroom window that the wall is warped a bit. 

The A/C is not working as it should in the bedroom. 

The lady who owns it doesn?t drive it.  It was her husbands toy...but he passed away.  she is OK with my taking it to a dealer to be looked at....,

My instincts are to walk away.  Can a dealer examine the water staining and determine if it is only cosmetic without tearing out panels.  Should I run away...

Run, don't walk away.  With that much damage you can see, there will surely be a lot more you can't see. The only way to know for sure is to start taking things apart, and I'm sure the lady won't allow you to do that before you buy.  There are lots of good Class A MHs out there. Keep looking, and you will find a gem. Unless she wants to give you the MH outright, and unless you are interested in a BIG project, I would run away fast. JMHO

A dealer or a mobile RV tech should be able access the damage. Whether you should buy it or not depends on if you want to repair the damage after it accessed. If paying someone to repair it, be prepared to spend about $125/hour for their labor. If repairing it yourself, it will be your labor of love. Make sure the price reflects the condition. Is the outside delaminated? That's costly to pay someone to repair, or a real pain in the neck to repair yourself. Also check the date codes on the tires. 7 years is the max life generally recommended by folks here. The batteries may be due for replacement also. Again, price should reflect the condition. Out of curiosity, what make, model, and years is this coach?

Ask her how much she will pay you to take it.

Seriously.  Unless you can get the thing less than dirt cheap, and have no issue spending whatever it takes to fix everything, and the time involved.....run away.

Units with no obvious water problems can be time bombs.  By the time they become apparent it can be far beyond the time repairs should have taken place. 

Something that no one else has mentioned yet is that water in the ceiling or walls can easily lead to the growth of MOLD, which can be seriously detrimental to your health.

Need I add that you'd have to be crazy to buy this . . .?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom