Brake pedal not ?returning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoomerD

I got the Winnebago out today to give it its annual ?bath,?  and (first of all) the brake pedal felt stiff whem I first applied it...then, the pedal only comes part way back up when it?s released I can use my toe to ?life? it back up...but come on...this thing hates me... ::)for all ner rotors, calipers, and pads. I?m REALLY hoping this doesn?t signal a bad madter cylinder...Brazel?s talked me out of replacing that when they were doing the brake job...said it wasn?t necessary... :-[
I?ll try to get my busted old bod under the coach and see if some linkage just needs some lubrication...but I suspect that?s not gonna be the problem. (But hey...a guy?s gotta get a lucky break once in a while..
Right? )

My 2005 Winnebago Voyage W-24 Workhorse has a grease zerk on the brake linkage.  I am not sure your Winnebago has one, but it would be a good place to start.

Welp...I spoke to the folks at Brazel?s today. They said that while it COULD possibly be a rusty/sticky brake linkage...odds are, it?s the brake booster.  :eek:
Repairs should run somewhere in the $1300-$1600 range...tough to get a more accurate estimate over the phone... PLUS, about $1000 to get it towed down there. (About 85 miles)
Shoot me now.

Oh boy, that's a shot in the wallet  :p . About five years ago Freightliner had to pull the head and do a valve job on my Cummins ISL. That plus routine chassis service and a new dash air AC compressor pulled about $11,000 out of our checking account  :mad: :( :eek:

John Canfield said:
Oh boy, that's a shot in the wallet  :p . About five years ago Freightliner had to pull the head and do a valve job on my Cummins ISL. That plus routine chassis service and a new dash air AC compressor pulled about $11,000 out of our checking account  :mad: :( :eek:

I had 11,000 in my checking account.  Oh, wait, that was before I owned a motorhome.

Going to take it to one of the local RV shops next week. The owner is an officer in our local Elks RV group. Spoke to the him this morning. His estimate for the brake booster is less than $600...but for some silly reason, he insists on actually diagnosing the problem before ordering the parts... :p

Of course, that will still require a $400-$500 tow... :(

you might see if there is a Mobil mechanic in your area. the $400 to $600 tow bill could go a long way towards paying him.

You can get the brake booster for less than $600.  If you're relatively handy and astute you could even install it. Of course assuming that's the problem.

http://www.powerbrake-drivetrain.com/medium-duty-truck-1/

Arch Hoagland said:
BoomerD...will your insurance cover the towing?  I know my AAA would cover it.

Arch, going to check that Tuesday.
johnhicks said:
  You can get the brake booster for less than $600.  If you're relatively handy and astute you could even install it. Of course assuming that's the problem.

http://www.powerbrake-drivetrain.com/medium-duty-truck-1/

Unfortunately, while I might have attempted this 20years ago, I?m WAY too busted up to even try it nowadays.

I gotta wonder about the intelligence (?) of insurance companies...

My roadside assistance will cover MOST of the tow to the repair shop...but I have to pay a slight "overage." There's an RV repair shop closer to me, but I called them last week...they don't do this kind of repairs...BUT, they're still an RV shop, so that's the default location per my RA coverage.  ::)
Next, they set me up with a tow that was supposed to arrive 2 hours ago. When I called to check on it, the tow company informed me they had cancelled the tow because they don't have a rig big enough...but, of course, no one bothered to notify me.
NOW, they're sending a big-rig tow truck from Seattle. Only about 30 miles via the ferry and, IF they get the first available boat...and hour or so away...or about 60 miles by road and 1-1/2 hours away. There are towing companies MUCH closer that can do the job...and SHOULD be cheaper...but................. :-X

Ah well...as long as the job gets done right, I don't really care who tows it.

Larry N. said:
The above is one of the reasons I have Coach Net.

If only...I wanted CoachNet 3 years ago when we got this rig. When I called, I was informed they weren?t licensed to sell insurance in the State of Washington...but if I had a friend or relative in a different state and could use THEIR address, I could have their coverage...

I declined.

After 5-1/2 hours of waiting...the tow truck finally arrived. The driver didn?t want to go through the work necessary to lift the front by the tires, so, against my objections, he tried the rear and the hitch...that didn?t work, so he went back to the front and tried to hook to the frame rails...after screwing with it for an hour, he finally accepted that the only way was...you guessed it...lift by the front tires. After that, 30 minutes to the repairmshop, (now closed for the night). I should get a repair estimate sometime tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom