Tiffin Front Engine Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD Sharp

I am looking at 2008 Tiffin 34TGA with 340hp Cummins diesel. Does anyone have knowledge of this model concerning reliability, ride, economy, ect. Like Tiffin's but concern about them only making FRED's for a few years. Also looking for specification, can not find online. Thanks

They only made those for a few years because of low sales. I presume that's due to so much noise up front and, perhaps, some amenities lacking that are in DPs. Given that it's a Tiffen (Freightliner chassis?), I'd be very surprised if it has anything to do with reliability, though ride should be at least as good as a front engine gasser. A web search found that model designation in both FRED and gasser, though, so it's hard to say for sure other than reliability should be OK.

Just the other day I ran into a couple who own a 10 year old Tiffin Allegro Bay diesel. They bought it new, put many miles on it and are well pleased with it. The fella is of the opinion that Tiffin?s bringing out the Red, their cheapest DP, in the same price bracket as the FRED killed the FRED.

The FRED chassis is a solid performer and I don't think the noise level is much different than the same coach with a gas engine.  Both of them have more engine noise than a typical late model pick-up truck, though.

Learn more about the FRED chassis Tiffine coaches in this article by Mark Quasius, an expert amateur who specializes in Tiffin brand products. Mark owns a Tiffin himself and does excellent research on the topics he writes about.
https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/fred.php

Sales of FRED coaches were low because there was a price premium for the diesel engine vs the same coach with gas engine and the engine was the only advantage.  It is NOT the mechanical equivalent of a diesel pusher except the engine is in the front, so folks who were willing to pay more went all the way to a DP. Then the RED came along with a relatively modest price tag for a DP and stole what few sales the FRED model had.

JSplaine said:
I am looking at 2008 Tiffin 34TGA with 340hp Cummins diesel. Does anyone have knowledge of this model concerning reliability, ride, economy, ect. Like Tiffin's but concern about them only making FRED's for a few years. Also looking for specification, can not find online. Thanks
Considering their low popularity and resale history, you should be able to get it at a very good price and no real reason, why it shouldn't serve you well.

What appealed to me about them is I could get a diesel under 26,000 pounds which meant that I didn't need a class B license in Pennsylvania.  I just decided to do the work and get the class B license.  It was not a big deal.

I guess if you find a great deal go for it.  No reason not too but no reason not to get another one either.

Back
Top Bottom