HELP!! I think I screwed up....not sure how...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philiose

I had the bright idea of attempting to install a 12 DC socket in my Aliner - I realize that this is an RV forum, but I figured the basics were the same.

Anyway, I tapped in to two #14 wires going to a 12v powered light, ran my #12 wires, verified correct polarity and tested the socket with a plug-in fan before completing the installation.  I screwed the cover plate in, turned the battery back on and got nothin.  Checked voltage at the new terminals I installed and got around 6 volts.  Checked voltage where I tapped into existing wiring - got 6 volts. I've gotten as far as checking the fuses at the converter and they're fine.  Where is the system dropping just half the voltage?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Christina

An RV (around here anyway), includes trailers as well as motorhomes. It's recreational and its a vehicle (has license plates).

If I understand it correctly, the fan worked ok before you put the cover plate back on the light, but not afterwards? Did you check the voltage at that point?  Does it work ok again if you remove the cover?

I see no way to get 6V in your situation, and no way to get the wires "in series" if you connected to wires that already carry 12v. Please check again, making sure you are using the 12v mode of the meter, and check the wires you connected to.

I'm also suspicious that the two wires you are using are NOT 12v power and ground. The wires to a light SWITCH is only the 12v power and has no ground. The light itself has a ground connection, but it may be grounded to the trailer frame//body or the wire may go elsewhere than along side of the power wire.  Without a proper ground, you won't get the full 12v and maybe not even get any voltage at all.

Back
Top Bottom