Battery question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billandpam

I have 2 six volt gulf cart battery?s in my MH, There is room for a third battery.  How would you go about hooking up a 3rd six volt?  Should I go with a 12 volt and wire it to the six?s in parallel? Or just stay with the 2 six?s?

Thanks
  Bill

You can not add just 1 more 6V battery.  2  6v in series = 1  12v battery, as far as the power grid is concerned.  Because of the differences in current available, a single 12V does not play well with a pair of 6V, but it would not damage the RV, just the batteries.

Thanks Gordon, I didn?t think it would work just needed someone else to tell me.  Just seeing that extra space in the battery tray started me thinking. 

Bill

You can change over to all 12v's, but you will want true deep cycle 12v rather than the marine/RV types that most stored sell.  Quality 12v deep cycles are pricey because they are a low volume specialty item.

It is possible to add a single 12v to the 6v pair, but it's one of those things that should probably not be done unless you really know battery systems (and your question implies you do not).

Learn more about battery choices by reading my article in the RVForum Library at http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Choosing_right_battery.pdf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom