Yet Another WDH Question(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoss10

I think I want to upgrade my no-name WDH with little sway control for use with my new TV.

I have done some research and am as confused as ever.  WHD hitches range from very simple looking to very complex with good reviews for both.  One name that seems to be moderately complex with very good reviews is the Equalizer series.  The downside seems to be noise.

My question if I go with Equalizer their weight range goes from 600 TW, 6000 Trailer Weight, then jumps to 1000 TW, 10 000 Trailer Weight my TT is 6500 GVWR, 4750 Dry.
I could be over with the lighter hitch, but the 10 000 might be too stiff and harsh.  Which weight would be best or should I look for a WDH more in line with my TT weight?

There are a number of used Equalizers for sale locally do these things wear out?

Finally are there any other WDHs that I should consider?

Thanks for the help.

WD hitches are rated by the tongue weight they handle, as well as the total trailer weight.  However, some WD hitch size calculators may use gross trailer weight (GVWR) only because they can assume that tongue weight will be 10-15% of that.  Other calculators will ask for both trailer weight and tongue weight.

I plugged your trailer GVWR into the Equalizer calculator and estimated a tongue weight of 12% (780 lbs if fully loaded) and it came up with 1000 lb spring bars on their 90-00 WD hitch.  Plug in your numbers at https://www.equalizerhitch.com/find-your-hitch-size

Your spring bar ratings can and should be over the actual tongue weight because you adjust the spring bar tension to get the right mount of weight transfer.  You can set the tension to be less than the bar maximum, but if the bars are undersized you may not be able to get enough.  Bars in the 800-1000 lb range will handle your trailer nicely once properly adjusted.  The ride won't be harsh once the WD is adjusted for the actual trailer loading.

I'm happy!  I just bought a Equalizer WDH in my size range that had been used for less then a couple of hundred miles.(they then parked the trailer in a park)  It looks brand new and the best part (besides the price) is that the ball was installed from the factory, so it has the 400 pounds of torque on the recessed nut!

Now I just have to get the new truck to set it up and see how it works.

Thanks for the link Gary, I found it the day after your post.

Fastway makes the E2 WDH (Fastway is also an Equalizer company), instead of 4 point sway control its sway control is 2 point.  This brand hasan 800/8000lb weight rating and thats the reason I went with this over the 1000/10000lb Equalizer 4 point.

I have it on my trailer (dry weight is 5500lbs with a 7600GVWR) and so far its nice to pull the trailer with our half ton Ram.  We have been in crosswinds of about 40km/h(25mph) and a few busy highways and so far I've found it quite stable.  The set up wastime consuming, but I found it easy and the instructions were pretty clear and easy to follow.

My advice on dealers setting it up.....dont let them, familiarize yourself with whatever hitch you go with and set it up yourself.  :)

I don't completely fault dealer's on WDH setups. They are provided a vehicle, hitch, and an empty trailer. They don't know how much stuff you will load in it or where you will be putting the weight. The dealer I have dealt with tries to simulate loading by completely filling all the tanks, but that's the best they can do. Just follow the instructions after loading the trailer and do the final set up yourself.

My dealer said my hitch was good to haul, none of the bolts had been torqued, including the nut that holds the ball on that is supposed to be torqued to 450ft/lbs..... Heard a few like that from others too.

Back
Top Bottom