Looking for a puppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Howard Kelly said:
Suggest you check out  Best Friends Animal Shelter, they have lots of dogs all shapes and sizes.
There main shelter is in Kanab Utah  https://bestfriends.org/
Good luck

Beat me to it, I was just going to suggest that as a friend visited there the other day and said it is wonderful.  We are in Kanab but haven't been.

Our friends had a King Charles and he was a nice mild mannered dog, he was terrified of our Jack Russell as he hadn't seen any other dogs I think but they became friends and then chased each other all over the house.  Spaniels are nice dogs, my brother in law has a working cocker, needs a lot of walking though. 

Chihuahuas are nice but some do shed a lot which is a nuisance.  Rene might pop in and tell you how Buddy is working out.

I think a mutt might be a good choice though.  Go to a shelter and see which dog picks you!

Good luck. Let us know what you get!

jackiemac said:
  Chihuahuas are nice but some do shed a lot which is a nuisance.  Rene might pop in and tell you how Buddy is working out.

Jackie is right. My dog sheds all the time. He's a year old now and has been shedding since he was born. He is very smart and very easy to train. We worked with him to house train. He was paper trained in a couple of days and he was trained to go outside in matter of 2 weeks. He started barking quite a bit and we opted to get a barking collar. The style which only vibrates no shock. He's pretty good now. Only barks when someone comes in the house.

A couple of notes:

I noted that our Papillon does shed, but its not terribly bad because he does not have an undercoat.

I've had a Lhasa and have a good freind who also has one.  Good dogs but very laid back and slow moving. Thry also can be yappy. Our solution to that problem both fot Toby and Tramp was a muzzle used immediately when they start barking.

Ernie

I'll go along with the poodle as a good traveling breed. We have not had two toy poodles because my allergies are quite severe, and the breed does not negatively affect me. They do not shed so it is easy to keep the place clean. Our first one was never a yapper, and seemed quite aloof at times, but was a real sweetheart. The poodle we have now is a bit more excited to see people, and cannot help voicing her presence, but settles down in a minute or so, less if you hold her.

Bottom line is that if you choose a pup that pulls at your heart strings, you cannot go wrong.

I always had Boston Terriers.  Great travel dogs.  Never bark.  But, they don't do well in heat.  I would think the Pug would be the same.  They also can be prone to separation anxiety.  We now have a 5 year old Shih Tzu/Boston mix.  He wags his tail non stop and loves EVERYBODY.  He doesn't shed and everyone everywhere we go knows Oscar.  He is also pretty quiet but does alert us if someone comes very near.  See profile pic.  About 15 lbs.

We have a rescued Havanese/Poodle mix which has turned out to be a really great girl.  She is an alert barker but otherwise quite, loves to travel and sleeps while on the road as if at home, with occasional trips to passenger's lap.  She is a Daddy's girl but I am her security blanket, she keeps me in sight when things are happening.  She is a mind reader and KNOWS so no secrets.

Neither Havanese nor Poodle shed but grooming is required.  We keep her coat cut down due to the poodle hair being curly and she becomes a dust mop if coat allow to grow out.  Her tail hair looks Havanese and curls nicely,

Another great non-shedder is a Bearded Collie, a herding dog.  But they are in the 45 pound range, double coated and also require grooming.  I mention them because the bouncing Bearded has a great personality.

I agree with looking for a rescue however getting a breed specific pup with know pedigree and parents screened for health issues and personality is great.  Just be sure the breeder is reputable and does not breed like a puppy mill but actually is breeding for show dog quality pups which will yield high value pet quality pups. 

Good luck finding your furever friend,
Jennifer

Adopt. Adopt. Adopt. Go to your local shelter and you?ll find an awesome dog just waiting for you and a forever home.

I really do appreciate all the feedback.

I have been working on this for the last few days other than taking Renae to Las Vegas to catch a plane to see her grandkids for a few weeks in MN.

It is hard to find a King Charles Cavalier out here in the boonies.

I think I was almost scammed by a website that seemed too good to be true.  They claimed to offer the dogs for $600 including shipping by air.  Most breeders price a Cavalier between $1200 and $4,000 so I was very sceptical.  I asked for references and all the references and the seller spoke with the same accent and were very hard to understand.  He would not take a credit card and wanted a Walmart money transfer.  He might be legit, but I doubt it.

I am also thinking that I might just get another pair of Yorkies.

I travel with 2 King Charles Cavalier spaniels.
Love them!

One is a little sensitive to camp noises and barks a bit. So, when we leave the RV, we turn on the radio and shut the blinds to isolate him.  He does well this way.

They travel well.  They know they get to chase something when we stop and setup camp; squirrels, rabbits, birds, etc!

I also work with a Cavalier rescue group in Salt Lake called Cavalier Crazy Rescue. And am fostering a little girl at this very moment (Bambi).
http://www.cavaliercrazyrescue.org/
https://www.facebook.com/cavaliercrazyrescueutah/

They get all kinds of CKCS dogs with all kinds of backgrounds and screen the adoptive parents to make sure there is a good fit.

They don't ship, but I know they have arranged drop offs in Vegas or Flagstaff in the past.  I have almost been a part of such a transfer.  Might work out.

Personally,I would not buy over the Internet or have a dog shipped.  As you found out,it's probably a scam.ideally,you would pick up your new friend and see what environment they were raised in.  Inside like a family pet or outside in kennel?  How many dogs do they have?is it clean?  What is their health guarantee?  Will they take the dog back if you can't keep it for some reason? 

I probably sound over the top,but I detest people who endlessly breed a dog just to make a few dollars. 

How about this little guy and girl.  They are Teacup Yorkies,

Attachments

• 1 Andy(3)(2).JPG
    1 Andy(3)(2).JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 1 kate(1).JPG
    1 kate(1).JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 2 Andy(1).JPG
    2 Andy(1).JPG
    38 KB · Views: 24
  • 2 Kate.JPG
    2 Kate.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 27
:))
Let us know when you pick them up  ;D  You can even tell the difference by their face. 

Jennifer

Very sweet little dogs.  That didn't take you long!  They will have you wrapped around their little paws in no time.    ;D

I am disappointed to say that this is now looking like another scam.

I spoke with the guy again today and he demanded a Walmart money transfer TODAY with no further details.

He may also be legit, but it is a red flag.

I am going to hold out for a real live deal where I can see the puppies in person or at least have a good feeling that they do exist and not have them sent on an airplane.

rphbiker:  Is Bambi a good canidate as a companion dog.  I am not looking for discount or a good deal. just looking for a good long time friendly pup.  I would also like to work out a delivery scenario that does not put a dog on a plane.

HueyPilotVN said:
I am disappointed to say that this is now looking like another scam.
I spoke with the guy again today and he demanded a Walmart money transfer TODAY with no further details.
He may also be legit, but it is a red flag.
Sorry Bill.
I might be wrong but anyone who uses Walmart money transfers as a primary means of payments sounds fishy to me

Yes, much too "scam like" to my mind. I would never accept a potential family member I couldn't meet and interact with first, and the lack of info and the payment method are really questionable...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom