Restarting fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pappi49

Wife and I will be spending about a week in the Yellowstone area in Aug. I would really love to catch some fresh trout for dinner. The biggest problem is that I have not seriously fished in years.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to try some fishing while we are there. I realize that fishing in Yellowstone has a lot of rule and regulations involved. Would maybe try Lake Hebgen or the Yellowstone river. I would not be fly fishing as I never did learn how to. Would probably be using either a spinning reel  and spinners or possibly a bait casting rig.

Is this idea even remotely feasible or should I just buy some trout and leave it at that. Any and all comments are appreciated.

DH and I fished while we were in Yellowstone with spinning reels.  A lot of fishing and no catching.  Had a blast!!

Robin

Check the regs, that get pretty specific on both where and which species, but about 10 years ago, on a fishing trip (hitting catch and release waters) bunch of guys wanted a fish fry and we were directed to a small lake in the park (Joffe) that had brook trout, which are not native there.  I forget the limit (didn't matter - only managed enough for the dinner, what with the driving winter mix - in late August) but regs have surely changed and I know removing "invasives" to give the native cutthroat better chance at success is even more a policy there now.  Good news, that small lake would have fished much easier with spinning gear, but all we'd brought was fly gear. 

If it's been a long time, and you're wanting to catch some, I would suggest spending a little money for a day with a guide.  At the very least he/she will get you on the fish, and have some pointers to catch them.  They'll know the local area well, and know the all important rules and regulations.

A light action spinning rod (4lb-8lb) 6' length......with a 2000 sized spinning reel will do what you want it to do....

Tie on a Rooster tail lure, Kastmaster, Krocodile or a Panther Martin lure......all in the 1/4 oz range....on 4 lb test mono line.
Fish above pools and eddies and let the lure flutter down into them, with enough retrieve to keep them off the bottom.

Hook up!!

marcortez said:
A light action spinning rod (4lb-8lb) 6' length......with a 2000 sized spinning reel will do what you want it to do....

Tie on a Rooster tail lure, Kastmaster, Krocodile or a Panther Martin lure......all in the 1/4 oz range....on 4 lb test mono line.
Fish above pools and eddies and let the lure flutter down into them, with enough retrieve to keep them off the bottom.

Hook up!!

Great advice  : ;) .

Have fun and good luck  :))

pip said:
If it's been a long time, and you're wanting to catch some, I would suggest spending a little money for a day with a guide.  At the very least he/she will get you on the fish, and have some pointers to catch them.  They'll know the local area well, and know the all important rules and regulations.

This is a good idea if you really want fish for dinner.

When we were kids in school, a friend bought a trout at a store to take home and show his Mom "look what I caught". The idea was to get his Mom's support for him to go fishing and to buy him more tackle. It worked. This kid was always up to all kinds of tricks. His Dad was the local village police sergeant, and had to pull rank to get him out of all kinds of problems.

Back
Top Bottom