EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Restarting fishing  (Read 309 times)

pappi49

• ---
Restarting fishing
« on: May 24, 2018, 02:59:32 PM »
Wife and I will be spending about a week in the Yellowstone area in Aug. I would really love to catch some fresh trout for dinner. The biggest problem is that I have not seriously fished in years.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to try some fishing while we are there. I realize that fishing in Yellowstone has a lot of rule and regulations involved. Would maybe try Lake Hebgen or the Yellowstone river. I would not be fly fishing as I never did learn how to. Would probably be using either a spinning reel  and spinners or possibly a bait casting rig.

Is this idea even remotely feasible or should I just buy some trout and leave it at that. Any and all comments are appreciated.
pappi49
2016 F150 Eco Boost
2018 Coachmen Catalina TH26 Trail Blazer
2010 H-D Ultra Classic

Roadhappy

• ---
Re: Restarting fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:15:44 PM »
DH and I fished while we were in Yellowstone with spinning reels.  A lot of fishing and no catching.  Had a blast!!

Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

fishingbob

• ---
Re: Restarting fishing
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »
Check the regs, that get pretty specific on both where and which species, but about 10 years ago, on a fishing trip (hitting catch and release waters) bunch of guys wanted a fish fry and we were directed to a small lake in the park (Joffe) that had brook trout, which are not native there.  I forget the limit (didn't matter - only managed enough for the dinner, what with the driving winter mix - in late August) but regs have surely changed and I know removing "invasives" to give the native cutthroat better chance at success is even more a policy there now.  Good news, that small lake would have fished much easier with spinning gear, but all we'd brought was fly gear. 

Hosted by Over The Network