Info on flat towing a new JL Wrangler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
Well I briefly lost my mind last week and went out and bought a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JL series). We love the Jeep and the cool new features, but as with any new product, outfitting it has been a bit of an adventure.  One of the harder parts was getting the necessary harness to hook into the Jeep lighting system with the RV umbilical cord. 

The tow harnesses used on the JK series of Wranglers will not work with the JL series.  The JL's use a lot of LED lighting, and have other electronic gadgets on board.  So after much running around, many phone calls, and visiting 2 different dealer parts counters, the part number for the new harness is 82215382, and it is a Mopar accessory part for the JL Wrangler, 2018 and above.

However, it is NOT available at this time, and the estimated release date is 6/1/18. The Invoice Quote that I obtained from the dealer is $495 plus tax. 

He currently had over 50 units already ordered on back order, and is not at all certain if they will show up when promised.

I have decided to go with the Cool Tech wiring harness for $150 delivered. It should be here in 2 days. And the current position on the need for a wire and a switch to energize the steering on the Wranglers is that it is not necessary as the steering on the Wranglers and the Cherokees are completely different.

My new bumper is en-route to the campground, and with a little luck and some help from my son, I should get it mounted up on Saturday. I hope.

Well, I got the Jeep set up for being pulled behind the MH. The new bumper installed, the braking system installed, and the Cool Tech wiring harness.  I have towed it 3 times so far, and it doesn't track any different than the 08' standard trans Jeep did. 

The biggest learning curve I am having is the technique to get the transfer case into and out of neutral when stopped. It's a lot different with the auto trans than the manual was. With the manual trans I could just work the clutch to bump the trans just a bit to get back into gear.  With the auto it's all finesse. If there is a trick I don't know it yet.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f1082/procedure-for-flat-towing-2297881.html

Lots of steps.... Maybe someday I'll memorize it all..

I've found that the easiest way to find neutral is to come down to 4 Lo, tap the gas, and then tap to get into neutral. May take a couple of taps on the accelerator but happens easily. What ever you do don't try to force it. Unless they redesigned it that cable is a weak spot. Mine broke the first time I went into neutral (txfr case).

Ernie

Daffy said:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f1082/procedure-for-flat-towing-2297881.html

Lots of steps.... Maybe someday I'll memorize it all..

The same pages that are in my manual. The biggest problem is that they want the engine OFF when shifting the transfer case in or out of gear. The few times that I have done it that way I have had to have the DW inside on the shifter and me outside physically pushing the Jeep a few inches to get the gears in the transfer case to line up.

I never did it that way with the Rubicon. The engine was always running, and it was sometimes stubborn to get back into gear, but if it was really resistant I could usually go into 4 lo first, then into 2 high when I bumped it a little.

When we first got our 2016, it was extremely hard to put in gear after towing.  Usually the DW couldn't do it.  I'd muscle it in but wasn't comfortable doing so.  After two years it's easier.  However part of that is dependent on how level the Jeep is.  Don't recall for sure but think we can shift from 2H to 4H while moving.  Are the new Jeeps different in that regard?

No, it's recommended that the vehicle be rolling a few MPH to get into 4L to assist with the gears meshing together. That hasn't changed. What was different was the process of turning the vehicle off when taking it in and out of 4H to neutral. That was really tough to do. I have went back to the way I did it with the 08' Rubicon, which was to have the vehicle idling.

That and moving the gear shift back and forth between park and  reverse if the transfer case needs to be bumped a bit to get in or out of neutral.  Basically doing the same thing I did before. No gear clash has occurred.

I shift the AT to N with the brake "on" and try to shift the transfer case to the new position... be it 2H, 4H or 4L; If I encounter any resistance then I shift the AT to D for a few seconds and then back to N and try again...  sometimes it takes a few cycles but it always slip in easily.

Hi Sarge,  A quick question did you get the  Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System on the Sahara this is with the 4H AUTO mode?  the reason is i wanted to know if there was any difference with flat towing this model transfer case.

thanks, Rob

Hi Rob, from my equipment sheet, it has 2.72:1 Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System.  And no, there is no difference in towing it.  Once I got used to the auto trans, and putting it in Park to tow it, everything is just the same as my 08'. I just don't have to keep a key in the ignition to unlock the steering wheel lock. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom