Galley Faucet Leaking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

My coach is 16 years old so I figured when the galley faucet developed a leak this year it was time for replacement but the hookups below the sink were rather daunting looking so I input the Winnebago part number for the faucet into Google and came up with a site that said the faucet was no longer available but that a cartridge kit was.  I do not use Internet Explorer so I could not use the Winnebago Parts listings.  Instead went to Amazon and put in the faucet part number and it came up with a number for the cartridge kit which I ordered......it came in two days......from WINNEBAGO......lol.  Today I install it and hope it is the fix I need but I feel pretty confident it will be.

I know I am preaching to the choir but just wanted others to know that you don't have to rip out an old galley faucet when it starts leaking - Cartridge kits are available (with excellent install instructions) from Winnebago.  Mine happened to be a Phoenix faucet.

Bill

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

I think we have Moen faucets in the coach - the cartridges are available. We are remodeling and adding on to our house and the plumber on the job said stick with Moen or Delta - they haven't changed their cartridge design and replacement parts should always be available. He didn't have kind words for the other popular brands "they are always changing their design..."

Well here is an update that may be of help to some folks who encounter the same problem.  I went over to storage to install the faucet cartridge kit but ran into a problem.  There is a short screw that hold the faucet single lever handle in place.  One you remove that the handle should lift off - nope not this time and no amount of pulling could free it.  I guess 16 years of water corrosion made it stick to the stem (a small square piece into which the screw attaches).  So I unscrewed the next part down which actually holds the cartridge in place and got the remainder of the guts out of the faucet but I now had to figure out how to get the handle loose without breaking it.  Took it home and the wife tells me - VINEGAR will do the trick.  Soaked it overnight and it all came apart this morning.  Now back to finish the job.  Lesson learned:  Vinegar is good for freeing parts stuck together by corrosion.  I know you all knew that......lol

Bill N said:
Took it home and the wife tells me - VINEGAR will do the trick.  Soaked it overnight and it all came apart this morning.  Now back to finish the job.  Lesson learned:  Vinegar is good for freeing parts stuck together by corrosion.

And listen to wife.

Yup, vinegar is a great way to dissolve mineral deposits.

We've had minimal mineral precipitation problems because we use a water softener when we spend two or more nights in an RV park. It's a bit of a PITA to set up and put away but it really helps keep the fixtures fairly deposit free.

We bought our current stick house when it was about five years old; the previous owner was too cheap to have a water softener installed and the sad thing was the plumbing was already set up for one. The water is quite hard here and I had to replace every plumbing fixture and the water heater when we moved in. Needless to say, we have a water softener for the house now.

Got the job done today with success.  Great set of instructions with the kit.  I am surprised that the faucet went 16 years without replacement of any parts that I know of.  The original owner documented everything and there are no entries about the galley faucet. 
    Also finished up my analog to HD TV conversion today - a project that has been waiting since last fall.  I went the minimal disturbance route by just filling in the hole left when the old TV was removed (stained plywood) and covered it with the new 32" TV.  I could have made it a much larger project but I am trying to keep things simple now as I have to wear oxygen quite a bit of the time.  The TV in the bedroom should be a lot simpler.

Bill

Bill N said:
My coach is 16 years old ...  I do not use Internet Explorer so I could not use the Winnebago Parts listings....
Just fyi, for your age coach the Parts listings should all be pdfs, no special need for IE.

cbeierl said:
Just fyi, for your age coach the Parts listings should all be pdfs, no special need for IE.
I was referring to the Winnebago parts source listed on line where you can find availability and price of a part as well as order.  I do have the pdf parts listings on my computer and they were a great help in finding the specific part # of the original galley faucet.  The Winnebago parts source online requires Internet Explorer in order to use it for pricing (according to the note on the site).  I did get the part from Amazon but it was shipped from Winnebago Parts in Forest  City.  The kit was priced at $17 plus $4.33 shipping.  I did find another source that was probably a connection to Winnebago Parts in Forest City but while the cost was only $12 the whipping was over $7.50 so I paid a couple extra bucks and got the right parts in two days.

Bill

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom