sell or trade RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soozcna

We have a  32' 1998 Class C Coachmen Santara. We would like to downsize a little and get a unit that has auto levelers among other things to make life a little easier. Our unit has 44,000 miles, new tires, tagged until May 2019, we have kept up with oil changes and routine maintenance and it rides nice. Now the bad...some water damage, needs rubber roof replaced,  interior showing wear, furnace not working but A/C is good. We had a leak around the cab over window which has since been removed. Recent leak from 2 broken running lights that went unnoticed. Delamination on both sides. (Unit had some delamination when purchased from a dealer)  Would like some advise as to sell outright and put money in savings to save for new unit or use as a trade for new unit. We would price unit $2500. less that the NADA price poor/fair book price. We have had some interest in buyers but wonder what is the best way to sell unit.

Craigslist it and see whst happens.  Would bet you will get offers around 3000 dollars with that many issues.

You will always get more from a private sale than you will from a dealer.  The dealer may SAY $25k for the newer rig, minus $4k trade in, but if you have no trade, you could get the same RV for $22k.

List it for $3000 and leave some room to negotiate.  If you sell it for $2500, they will think they got a deal.  If you are unable to sell it, as a last resort, use it for a trade in.

To be honest, a dealer or knowledgeable individual will likely give you nothing for that unit. There is a glut of poorly maintained Class C rv's out there and 20 years old doesn't help. If you must finance, then trade it so it appears you made a down payment. Otherwise list it and take the best offer you get.

Sorry to be harsh,

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
To be honest, a dealer or competant individual will likely give you nothing for that unit. There is a glut of poorly maintained Class C rv's out there and 20 years old doesn't help. If you must finance, then trade it so it appears you made a down payment. Otherwise list it and take the best offer you get.

Sorry to be harsh,

Ernie
:)) :)) :))
Right on Ernie. A 20 year old RV with a leaky roof is worthless.

Unfortunately, low NADA retail on your unit (which assumes everything works and there is no damage, delamination, missing windows or worn interior, etc) is about $5300. This is what you might find on a dealer's lot, which includes their markup of probably a couple thousand or they wouldn't bother with it. This puts wholesale in the $3000 range IF as mentioned everything worked and there was no damage - in other words a nice looking & working unit. Subtract from that a new roof, new heater and delamination repair and touch-up to a worn interior and you approach zero very quickly. As others have suggested, Craig's List is probably your only option. The dealer might take it off your hands which would save you the aggravation of trying to sell it, but you can be certain they will actually be allowing very little value in trade (they might figure they can wholesale it for $500-1000).

As Ernie and others have said, not meaning to be harsh, you asked and these are the facts.

You might get $2500 in a private sale, but I would take whatever offer I could get. It's in too rough a condition to be attractive to any but a buyer of "handyman specials" and they are usually looking for extreme bargains.  The best selling points are the low mileage, new tires and cold a/c.  All the problems, however, are real negatives (especially the delam and leak damage).

A dealer will give you next to nothing for it. He will show a trade-in value on the sale quote, but it will be little or no more than he would have given as a discount from MSRP if you had no trade.

When I sold my old motorhome on Craig's List I got over three times what I was offered as a trade in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom