Purchase without vehicle title

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD Sharp

We found the Tiffin motorhome we really like. It is in another state and several days in travelling to inspect and hopefully bring home. Problem for me is seller does not have a clear title, bank is holding till his loan is paid off. He suggest putting my payment in escrow till transaction is complete and he gets title, which could take several days. I know that this kind of long distance purchasing happens all the time. Please share with me how you handled the purchase of seller without a title.

Suggest getting the bank that holds the title into the conversation. After inspection, transfer funds to that bank. They can clear the loan, give you the title, and give seller his funds

I've done that a couple of times with cars.

He has a title - it just has a lien on it. That's common, whether buying local or long distance.  Make your check payable to the owner AND the lien holder and write a sales contract that explicitly makes sale contingent on lien payoff and a clear title. Set a firm date by which he must  deliver the title, e.g. 10-14 days out.

The above works if the lien amount is equal or less than the sale price.  If the seller owes more than the rig is worth, insist that he pay down the loan lien before you write your check, i.e. you are basically paying off the loan for him. 

When I sold my coach that had a loan lien, I invited the buyer to come with me to the bank, bringing his check. That way he knew the lien was paid off (I gave him the receipt) and I turned the title over to him as soon as the bank released the lien.

Different states and different lenders handle titles with liens differently, so find out the procedures in the state where the title is issued.  Typically the lender releases the lien within 5-7 days of loan payoff and the state will then issue a clear title (no lien) immediately or within 1-2 days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom