Rand McNally Atlas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, you can't beat a real map (paper or digital) for exploring. A GPS-based system assumes you know where you want to go and helps you get to a specific destination, but a map lets you browse to see IF you want to go to an area and see alternative ways to get around in it. It's a much better tool for wanderers and explorers.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
A GPS-based system assumes you know where you want to go and helps you get to a specific destination, but a map lets you browse to see IF you want to go to an area and see alternative ways to get around in it.

However, I can well remember times when I found myself lost in an unfamiliar location long before GPS and the resulting frustration trying to figure out just where I was on a paper map in order to get "un-lost". GPS on the other hand KNOWS where I am!

Don't get me wrong--I'm a map lover. Still have boxes full of old, outdated paper maps of just about every state in the US from my vagabond days. And I fondly remember working with maps in my short-lived career as a Navy navigator as well. But today?  Give me my GPS!  ;D

GPS on the other hand KNOWS where I am!
Yeah, but it doesn't know where I want to be unless I tell it, and sometimes I need a map to figure that out.
GPS Navigation systems have maps, of course, but the display is typically too small to see much for browsing.  You don't need much view of the surroundings once the route is established, but it's a huge help in figuring out where to go in the first place. A 10" tablet with a GPS chip is a pretty decent compromise between large display and GPS accuracy, but still not as handy as when actually driving with a dashtop GPS.

I'm a fan of digital maps, primarily because of the zoom capability. The ability to have all my maps ready-to-view on a computer of some sort is another plus.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
A 10" tablet with a GPS chip is a pretty decent compromise between large display and GPS accuracy, but still not as handy as when actually driving with a dashtop GPS.

I'm a fan of digital maps, primarily because of the zoom capability. The ability to have all my maps ready-to-view on a computer of some sort is another plus.

I've all but worn out my paper maps constantly trying to pinch the page to zoom in & out.  ::)

We do keep paper maps but the digital maps on the Garmin, Android phone, and 10" tablet get most of the attention. Yeah, I know-- overkill by far but sometimes it's fun to have Google Maps "compete" with Garmin to see which comes up with the best route.

It's just so darned convenient to map out routes, destinations and saved places working on a full size computer screen then accessing that info en route. I typically download offline maps as well for those times when we're in areas with no data. I also saw on a recent trip Google Maps offered to download the current route for just that reason.

We also use apps like Glympse where you can share your location in real time with others and they can view your travel status for a time interval you set.

The Walmart version of the Atlas also has a list of all the stores and their (Murphy) gas stations that have gas and diesel.

When trying to decide where to go, its hard to beat a laptop on free wifi. I use google maps. I can drop in anywhere there is a road, look around at the scenery, and can even virtual drive a road if I want. That said we always have a paper map of North America on board, just in case. The beauty of goggle maps is, I can also get the shortest route, along with alternative routes, as well as travel times. We try to go around five or six hours a day. This way I can decide roughly where we want to be at the end of the travel day. I can then look up campgrounds and drycamping in the area we will be the next day. I try to do this on park wifi the night before we move. This way, I dont use all the data on our hotspot trying to find an rv park.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom