Repair Grey Water Leak.. PVC to Valterra valve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_Rusty_

We discovered a leak in the grey water piping on our first outing. (see attached) My question is, will PVC pipe glue to the black plastic Valterra valve interface?  My plumbing supply house says ABS hasn't been carried by them for years and they don't think the Valterra valve is ABS but plastic.

Another option is to place a rubber sleeve (with hose clamps) between the valve and the new pipe, but given the small space this will cut into my storage quite a bit.  I also think I will turn the first corner with a wye or tee and provide a cleanout access point in case the tank gets plugged with something.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Attachments

• Leak_Repair.jpg
    Leak_Repair.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Leak_Parts.jpg
    Leak_Parts.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 18
There is an ABS-to-PVC type of solvent weld (aka "plastic pipe glue") that should work.  However, I don't understand the comment about losing storage space with the rubber fitting.  Surely an extra 1/4" of thickness and two hose clamps can't take up much space?

Oatey PVC-ABS solvent weld:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=107116756&KPID=24637141&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Catch_All_-_New&pla=pla_24637141

1.5" flexible (rubber) pipe coupling:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-1-1-2-in-x-1-94-in-dia-Flexible-PVC-Coupling-Fittings/1000075329

Gary RV_Wizard said:
….However, I don't understand the comment about losing storage space with the rubber fitting.

As it stands now I have an 18 gallon tote that will fit into the compartment and I keep the cleanup supplies there.  With the adapter shown it pushes the pipe over just enough to eliminate the space for the tote.  I will try to find the ABS to PVC glue locally.  Thanks!

There are 2 types of solvent that will work PVC-to-ABS.  One is in a green labeled can and is marked "transition cement".  The other type is in a red labeled can and is marked "all purpose cement".  Just went through this this past Friday.  I couldn't find the transition stuff but did buy a can of the all purpose and it worked great.

Well, this is how the repair went.  I used the "Oakley" ABS to PVC cement and duplicated the dimensions of the existing fittings as best I could.  I also added a clean-out access point in case I ever need it.

Attachments

• Repair_Before.jpg
    Repair_Before.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Repair_Parts.jpg
    Repair_Parts.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 13
  • Repair_After.jpg
    Repair_After.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom