FL vs SD, drivers license, auto registration taxes & inspection requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Changing residency at the end of the year and investigating FL & SD.

SD does not have vehicle registration taxes, and there is no inspection - the vehicle never has to enter SD for the first plate or for renewals. One night in a hotel equals residency and a drivers license. Can someone who currently registers their motorhome and car/truck in FL address the FL requirements and costs, along with drivers license requirements?

Thx

It is very cheap in Florida, especially when compared to Colorado.

However, when registering, you must have the vehicle physically present so that they can verify the VIN.

Ken

missnmountains said:
However, when registering, you must have the vehicle physically present so that they can verify the VIN.

Might be a deal killer depending upon timing.

The other issue that I'm guessing will tilt the stack further away from FL is auto insurance rates. When my oldest daughter went through her internship, she moved her car from AZ to FL - the rate exactly doubled. :eek:

If you're under 65, make sure you check on health insurance availability in both states as well. As I recall, FL has better options for full time RV'ers not covered by Medicare.

Florida insurance rates can vary dramatically with the part of Florida claimed as residence.  South Florida, east or west coast, is very expensive, while central and northern Florida not so much (except maybe city of Jacksonville). Not as cheap as some western states, but not bad at all for a more populous state. I was insuring two cars and a 40 ft DP for a total of around $2000/year in north-central Florida. The motorhome was about $800 of that, as I recall.  Tags for all three vehicles were about $160/year total.

There is no special class of driver license required for operation of a private motorhome in Florida. No air brake or other special endorsement either as long as its non-commercial use.

If you have owned the vehicle(s) for more than 6 months before bringing to Florida, there is no sales or use tax. However, there is an "initial registration fee" of $100 per vehicle brought into the state.

http://flhsmv.gov/dhsmv/newflres.html
http://www.dmvflorida.org/out-of-state-car-registration.shtml

missnmountains said:

You do not have to have the vehicle physically present in Florida to register or renew registration. You can have a police officer from the area you are currently in validate the vin and sign the registration form.

mspicer1234 said:
You do not have to have the vehicle physically present in Florida to register or renew registration. You can have a police officer from the area you are currently in validate the vin and sign the registration form.

Ah OK good to know. Used that procedure in a different state

You can have a police officer from the area you are currently in validate the vin and sign the registration form.
Doesn't even have to be a policeman. Any registered vehicle dealer can certify it. The certification options are documented on the site I referenced earlier in this topic: http://flhsmv.gov/dhsmv/newflres.html

If you have owned the vehicle(s) for more than 6 months before bringing to Florida, there is no sales or use tax. However, there is an "initial registration fee" of $100 per vehicle brought into the state.

It must have gone down. When we moved here 9 years ago it was around $230.00 per vehicle.

Definitely leaning towards SD. Just off the phone with Geico. Comparing to AZ where I am now, in SD my combined RV/toad insurance goes down $340/yr. In FL, using Clay County which is supposedly an area with some of the lowest insurance rates in FL, the rate would go up $1200/yr.

Sun2Retire said:
Changing residency at the end of the year and investigating FL & SD.

SD does not have vehicle registration taxes, and there is no inspection - the vehicle never has to enter SD for the first plate or for renewals. One night in a hotel equals residency and a drivers license. Can someone who currently registers their motorhome and car/truck in FL address the FL requirements and costs, along with drivers license requirements?

Thx

When I decided to go full-time in my travel trailer, I rented a Good Sam mailbox forwarding service.  Since my mail was going there as my new address Virginia notified me that they were canceling my driver license in 30 days (which was less than 2 weeks away by the time I got my forwarded mail).  I had to immediately drive to Florida to make arrangements.  If you've bought a car within the last 6 months they will charge you $400 as a tax for bringing it into the state.  They required the vehicles (including my travel trailer) to be present to read the VIN directly from the vehicle.

No property taxes on vehicles and no required safety inspections.  I chose Florida over South Dakota only because I was in KY and it was more convenient to get to FL than SD.

Now, I'll need to go back to FL (back in KY) to obtain my CCW permit to replace the one I had in VA.  However, I'll probably be wintering-over down there anyway as my travel trailer does not have the artic package.

We changed to SD for registration of our 2017 Jayco class A.  In my home state (Nev) registration the first year was $2500.  Second year was going to be another $2400.  Clay County SD, charged me $380 for the first year.  Handled it completely over the phone and mailing some documents to them.  Got the new plates/registration by mail a few weeks later.  Never been in SD in my life (although we are planning to go there to get DL's shortly).  Here is their link:

http://www.claycountysd.org/treasurersoffice.cfm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom