rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Water Pump Switch Light  (Read 284 times)

Larry.Frisa

• ---
Water Pump Switch Light
« on: May 28, 2018, 07:43:06 AM »
Strange thing has happened this weekend.  Our pump stopped working and when I checked the switch it was not “blue.”  When you turn the pump on it lights up blue.  So, I assumed it was the fuse.  I had a backup and put a hose to a water line and used the city connection.  When I did that the pump switch light turned “blue.”  It happened again over night.  Im just curious what’s going on here?  Is my pump turned off for some fail safe?  Is it shorting?

It’s a 2016 Forrest River TT and it had 1/3 water in the tank.  Thank you!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Water Pump Switch Light
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 08:02:28 AM »
Some pumps have an overheat failsafe, but you didn't mention what brand & model of pump you have, so cannot guess if that is it.

Do you have more than one water pump switch? If so, there is a pump controller involved and the problem could be there.  If only a single switch, the power for the pump may run through the actual switch rather than through the controller.  The switch function is different with a controller than with direct-to-pimp wiring.

You are saying the blue switch light turned on when the system was pressurized via another pump and the city inlet?  Does the blue light come on when  ever you use city water source? If so, it must be a pressure activated switch rather than an electrical status.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Larry.Frisa

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 09:22:37 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply.  I don’t know the answer to your question about the city inlet and if the power light (blue light) goes on when you activate the switch.  I just made the realization that the pump had stopped and it seemed that it lost power since it wasn’t working and the switch had now power on (no blue light). However, when I plugged it in it seemed to have “reset” and it worked for a few hours with just the pump.  When I woke up in the middle of the night the pump stopped working again.  When I hooked back the city line again the pump was working fine.

The type of pump I have is an Artis Products Power Drive Series One Automatic Water System Pump.  Model PDS1-130-1240E.  Thank you again!

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
OK, that pump does have built-in thermal protection, so it would shut down if it overheats and then begin to work again when it cools off.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0254/3589/files/AD-M-0003-0_PDS1-130-1240E_Users_Manual.pdf

Can you hear if the pump continues to run even though the faucets are all off?  I can't see how it would overheat if not running.  Supposedly these pumps are fine even if running dry, but there must be some scenario where they overheat (else why provide thermal protect?).
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Larry.Frisa

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 07:46:04 AM »
I didn't hear the pump turning on when the water was off.  What was strange is that I disconnected my city supply and then I checked the switch and pump.  the light to the switch went on, but the pump didn't.  I thought it was on but it wasn't....the water coming out was just from the city line running out.  So, I checked the fuse and it seemed ok....wiggled it a little and now the pump worked.  So I am bringing it to a tech to check again.  I had to bring it in for another reason....the joys! 

So, I think it was simply an electrical issue.  Maybe a bad fuse.....THANK YOU AGAIN!