Cooling off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
After a day of waterskiing and other activities on Delta waterways, we often see folks turn into our bay while headed back to our local marina. They'll anchor for an hour or two or three, and take a dip to cool off before heading to the launch ramp for the trek home. It all adds to our home entertainment.

Attachments

• Cooling off.jpg
    Cooling off.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 74
When I first started reading your post, I first started to think is was you spending a day water skiing.  :eek: ::) ;D

[quote author=Rene T]When I first started reading your post, I first started to think is was you spending a day water skiing.[/quote]

It's been a while since I've been on waterskiis, but I wouldn't want to do it on crowded waterways this holiday weekend. My neighbor, well into his 70's, waterskiis almost every day, and also skis in competition. So there's hope for me  ;D

I started skiing when I was 6 years old and did it for about 25 years. I stopped for about 15 years then had the chance to try it again. I had gained about 30 lbs. I thought my arms wore going to pull out of their sockets and paid for it for a week. No more for me as much as I would love to.  I still have the original skies I learnt on and also a pair of trick skis (turnarounds). Anyone want them? No charge. Just come and get them.

I love water skiing, but much the same as Rene T, I didn't ski for quite a few years.  Then when a guy that was retiring from the military had a big shabang at his lake house, I tried it again.  A few years older, and a few pounds heavier, just begs for trouble.  I actually did good, and even managed to slalom a few times (by kicking off one ski after starting).  But when I tried to get up from scratch, I got too much wobble in the ski, and ended up ripping my hamstring.  My left leg, all the way from midway through the calf up to my waist was all kinds of ugly colors.  I couldn't walk for a week and couldn't get comfortable no matter what.  The pain was extreme.  And that marked my retirement from water skiing!

[quote author=Sun2Retire]Nice. Wouldn?t mind a break from the AZ heat[/quote]
Hey Scott, hop in your canoe and come on over  ;D Our docks are always open to visitors.

I water skied for about 20 years when I had a boat. Taught my kids and several friends to ski. I may purchase another one eventually. Got grand kids that I would love to teach to ski also. Except this time around I would get a Deck Boat. Something to float and BBQ on between ski runs.

Marty, nowadays young folks buy wakeboard boats; They have a large water tank in the stern of the boat to create a large wake for wakeboarding.

Tom said:
Hey Scott, hop in your canoe and come on over  ;D Our docks are always open to visitors.
Very generous Tom. Let me look around and see if I can find.... oh wait, that's right - I'm canoeless  :-\ ;)

Tom said:
They have a large water tank in the stern of the boat to create a large wake for wakeboarding.
Kids! You don't need a wakeboard boat with a water tank to create a large wake, all you need to do is leave the stern plug out of your ski boat when you launch it. Ask me how I know  ::)

Rene T said:
OK I'll bite. How do you know?  :eek: ::)
The fellow I was working for many years ago in Fresno had a ski boat he'd let me borrow. Backed it into the water and fortunately had started it as soon as the stern was in because it was pretty temperamental. Backed it off a little and let it idle. Noticed it was sounding a little "gurglie". Turned around and we had taken on water big time, stern was down. Lined it up and gunned it back on to the trailer, big wake in the no wake zone. Pulled it up on the ramp and it took a looong time to drain.  ::)

And BTW, it was perfectly understandable why I didn't notice the plug was out - it was stuck in the spoke of the steering wheel  :-[ ::)

Tom said:
Marty, nowadays young folks buy wakeboard boats; They have a large water tank in the stern of the boat to create a large wake for wakeboarding.

Shows you how long it's been since I have skied!

Sun2Retire said:
Kids! You don't need a wakeboard boat with a water tank to create a large wake, all you need to do is leave the stern plug out of your ski boat when you launch it. Ask me how I know  ::)

I seen that happen twice Scott. One guy sunk it on the launch, the other guy freaked out so much in the launch area, he  almost stroked out.  Yep, lots of interesting things go on at the boat launch.

Then there is always the guy with the outboard that won't start, engine cover is off , battery is low from trying,,hand cranking the engine with the pull start,, then it starts with wide open throttle and wipes out half the boats tied to the dock.>>>Dan

I spent most of the 70s on waterskis until I discovered scuba diving. I had a 16 foot Tahiti with a 140 horse Merc inboard and I had a ball. The group I skied with wanted to try shore starts so I read a book and figured it out. You stand on one leg with the ski on the other foot. Coil up about ten or twenty feet of rope in one hand, lean back and yell 'hit it'. The boat has to be about 40 feet in front of you and ready to go. When it does go you throw the coils up into the air and lean way back. It is actually very easy after you have been successful a few times. But the first few times are always a problem because you simply don't want to lean as far back as you need to to succeed. So we were up at Lake Piru working this out one day. And when we were done a boat with three other guys decided to copy what we were doing. The first time the guy coils up about 50 feet of rope and the boat is located about ten feet in front of him. He yells 'hit it' and tosses the coils up in the air, but they were just a big knot. The boat was a very powerful jet boat and when it took out the slack it actually launched the guy. We all rolled around on the beach laughing.

Attachments

• Tom 1972-04.jpg
    Tom 1972-04.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 21
I didn't learn to ski until early 80's. First time I skiid behind a jet boat, on the signal the driver floored it and I came out of the ski  :-[

Back
Top Bottom