rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Cooling off  (Read 1037 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Cooling off
« on: May 28, 2018, 12:22:32 PM »
After a day of waterskiing and other activities on Delta waterways, we often see folks turn into our bay while headed back to our local marina. They'll anchor for an hour or two or three, and take a dip to cool off before heading to the launch ramp for the trek home. It all adds to our home entertainment.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Cooling off
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 12:53:00 PM »
Nice thing to do in the heat.  Guess it will have been busy this weekend.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Travelling in US until 30th October 2018

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
When I first started reading your post, I first started to think is was you spending a day water skiing.  :o ::) ;D
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »
When I first started reading your post, I first started to think is was you spending a day water skiing.  :o ::) ;D

Me too!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Travelling in US until 30th October 2018

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »
Nice. Wouldn’t mind a break from the AZ heat 😓
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Cat 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »
Quote from: Rene T
When I first started reading your post, I first started to think is was you spending a day water skiing.

It's been a while since I've been on waterskiis, but I wouldn't want to do it on crowded waterways this holiday weekend. My neighbor, well into his 70's, waterskiis almost every day, and also skis in competition. So there's hope for me  ;D

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »
I started skiing when I was 6 years old and did it for about 25 years. I stopped for about 15 years then had the chance to try it again. I had gained about 30 lbs. I thought my arms wore going to pull out of their sockets and paid for it for a week. No more for me as much as I would love to.  I still have the original skies I learnt on and also a pair of trick skis (turnarounds). Anyone want them? No charge. Just come and get them.
AKA  Pep N Mem

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
I love water skiing, but much the same as Rene T, I didn't ski for quite a few years.  Then when a guy that was retiring from the military had a big shabang at his lake house, I tried it again.  A few years older, and a few pounds heavier, just begs for trouble.  I actually did good, and even managed to slalom a few times (by kicking off one ski after starting).  But when I tried to get up from scratch, I got too much wobble in the ski, and ended up ripping my hamstring.  My left leg, all the way from midway through the calf up to my waist was all kinds of ugly colors.  I couldn't walk for a week and couldn't get comfortable no matter what.  The pain was extreme.  And that marked my retirement from water skiing!
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 07:00:30 PM »
Quote from: Sun2Retire
Nice. Wouldn’t mind a break from the AZ heat
Hey Scott, hop in your canoe and come on over  ;D Our docks are always open to visitors.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 08:22:12 PM »
I water skied for about 20 years when I had a boat. Taught my kids and several friends to ski. I may purchase another one eventually. Got grand kids that I would love to teach to ski also. Except this time around I would get a Deck Boat. Something to float and BBQ on between ski runs.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
Marty, nowadays young folks buy wakeboard boats; They have a large water tank in the stern of the boat to create a large wake for wakeboarding.

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 08:27:28 PM »
Hey Scott, hop in your canoe and come on over  ;D Our docks are always open to visitors.
Very generous Tom. Let me look around and see if I can find.... oh wait, that's right - I'm canoeless  :-\ ;)
Scott

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 08:30:39 PM »
They have a large water tank in the stern of the boat to create a large wake for wakeboarding.
Kids! You don't need a wakeboard boat with a water tank to create a large wake, all you need to do is leave the stern plug out of your ski boat when you launch it. Ask me how I know  ::)
Scott

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 08:31:54 PM »
Ask me how I know  ::)

OK I'll bite. How do you know?   :o ::)
AKA  Pep N Mem

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 08:46:24 PM »
OK I'll bite. How do you know?   :o ::)
The fellow I was working for many years ago in Fresno had a ski boat he'd let me borrow. Backed it into the water and fortunately had started it as soon as the stern was in because it was pretty temperamental. Backed it off a little and let it idle. Noticed it was sounding a little "gurglie". Turned around and we had taken on water big time, stern was down. Lined it up and gunned it back on to the trailer, big wake in the no wake zone. Pulled it up on the ramp and it took a looong time to drain.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:18:37 AM by Sun2Retire »
Scott

Back2PA

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »
And BTW, it was perfectly understandable why I didn't notice the plug was out - it was stuck in the spoke of the steering wheel  :-[ ::)
Scott

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 12:27:38 AM »
Marty, nowadays young folks buy wakeboard boats; They have a large water tank in the stern of the boat to create a large wake for wakeboarding.

Shows you how long it's been since I have skied!

Kids! You don't need a wakeboard boat with a water tank to create a large wake, all you need to do is leave the stern plug out of your ski boat when you launch it. Ask me how I know  ::)

I seen that happen twice Scott. One guy sunk it on the launch, the other guy freaked out so much in the launch area, he  almost stroked out.  Yep, lots of interesting things go on at the boat launch.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 10:35:41 AM »
  Then there is always the guy with the outboard that won't start, engine cover is off , battery is low from trying,,hand cranking the engine with the pull start,, then it starts with wide open throttle and wipes out half the boats tied to the dock.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 11:11:32 AM »
I spent most of the 70s on waterskis until I discovered scuba diving. I had a 16 foot Tahiti with a 140 horse Merc inboard and I had a ball. The group I skied with wanted to try shore starts so I read a book and figured it out. You stand on one leg with the ski on the other foot. Coil up about ten or twenty feet of rope in one hand, lean back and yell 'hit it'. The boat has to be about 40 feet in front of you and ready to go. When it does go you throw the coils up into the air and lean way back. It is actually very easy after you have been successful a few times. But the first few times are always a problem because you simply don't want to lean as far back as you need to to succeed. So we were up at Lake Piru working this out one day. And when we were done a boat with three other guys decided to copy what we were doing. The first time the guy coils up about 50 feet of rope and the boat is located about ten feet in front of him. He yells 'hit it' and tosses the coils up in the air, but they were just a big knot. The boat was a very powerful jet boat and when it took out the slack it actually launched the guy. We all rolled around on the beach laughing.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
I didn't learn to ski until early 80's. First time I skiid behind a jet boat, on the signal the driver floored it and I came out of the ski  :-[

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »
Oh to be young again...

Tom
Tom & Theresa
2004 Pace Arrow 37C, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow bar
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 02:31:00 PM »
I spent most of the 70s on waterskis until I discovered scuba diving.

Do I remember those ski belts. I was about 8 years old and a couple of the older girls in the neighborhood wanted to do a 3 person pyramid on skis.  I was the one on top. We started out, I climbed to the top of their shoulders and I realized that my rope was a couple of feet too short . I was leaning so far forward and about to fall. So I told them that  when I say "go",  to pull away to the sides and I'll just fall in the water. I told them "go" then I threw the rope in the air. To this day, I don' know why I threw it. When I came down, I jumped into the handle with one leg. The wooden handle was behind my calf and the rope was over my ankle and the boat started dragging me underwater. The ski belt like Tom was wearing slid up my chest and I luckily caught it with my hand. The driver (one of the girls father) realized something had happened because he felt the drag on the boat. He stopped and I was able to get one breath of air. He knew I was hurt so he gunned it to turn and come to me. Under I went again. I thought I was going to die. That was in mid August and ended my skiing for that season. The entire back of my leg at the calf was all black because of all the ruptured blood vessels.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:33:19 PM by Rene T »
AKA  Pep N Mem

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
Those ski belts suck but it was all we had back then. I didn't get a float jacket until the mid 70s. I had a performance that I wish would have been captured on video. I went skiing with a couple of regular friends (my brother among them) and many times there would be several other people with us for the very first time. When we skied in the winter there was no wet suit. It was perfectly warm while skiing but the water was in the 50s and not comfortable. So the trick was to get in the water and get up on the skis as fast as possible. But it was the exit from the water that I got them with. After skiing around the lake for a hour or so I would eventually intentionally fall and then they would circle the boat around to pick me up. I would hand up my ski (a very expensive Maherajah) and then climb in the boat. Of course the people on the boat were all bundled up and I was wearing a bathing suit. I would get in the boat and start yelling for someone to hand me a towel. I would get the towel and proceed to wipe down the ski and then put it into it's case. Then without drying one drop off myself or putting on any close I would throw down the towel and ask who was next.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 03:33:59 PM »
I would hand up my ski (a very expensive Maherajah)

My ski was a Master's ski.
AKA  Pep N Mem

JackL

• ---
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 05:40:25 PM »
Oh to be young again...

Tom

We are "young again" "
 Me 82 and she 80 have paddled canoes and kayaks for a life time, but two years ago decided to try paddleboards, and like them so much we each bought one.
 We absolutely love them!
 I even get in a place where no one can see me, (just in case) and turn around on mine.
 The exercise they give you is un- real. Every muscle and joint is used and believe me at the end of the day we sleep like babies!

Jack L

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 08:14:11 PM »
It's cool this topic came up again.  I just uncovered some pictures from my Dad's stash that somehow I missed the first 3 or 4 times around.  I found this picture of me at Possum Kingdom Lake just west of Ft. Worth.  We did lots of skiing on that lake.  I would have been around 12 or 13.
Ed.....KF5INW
MSgt, USAF, Retired
2019 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 08:16:50 PM »
Looks like Olive Oyle. Also looks like me on snow skis  ;D

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 03:30:37 PM »
We used to go waterskiing after school.  Sometime 2-3 days a week, plus weekends.

When my wife, then girlfriend, tried skiing for the first time she had one of those belts on.  She dragged in the water so far the belt slid up around her armpits, taking her bikini top with it.  Much to the amusement of everyone in the boat.  She never tried it again.  She didn't like surfing either but that's OK.  I did enough for both of us.   ;)
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »
I was at Temple Bar Marina on Lake Mead with my BIL, sister and brother. We skiied all the way to the beginnings of the Grand Canyon and then had to turn around and head back because it was getting too rough. My sister Sue (you might remember her when she was helping me during my brain surgery) and a strap on her top broke leaving one boob hanging out. I made her keep skiing that way by refusing to stop for a while. We were on the floor laughing.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots: