Convection Microwave vs. Propane Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryB

One of the 5ers I'm looking at has an option to convert the standard microwave to a convection microwave.  But I'd lose the propane oven by doing so (they put a drawer there instead).  We've never used a convection microwave before, but hear they're nice.  I also hear that RV propane ovens do not cook very well (unevenly).  If you had a choice between these two options, which one would be best?  Of course we realize we could not use the convection microwave while boondocking.

Thanks!
Gary

We've had a microwave/convection oven for 10 years and have never missed the gas oven.  We much prefer the extra storage space.  You can use the MW while boondocking, but you'll need the generator or a large battery bank and inverter.

I've never used a convection oven but have heard lots of the ladies who really like them. Me, I like my propane oven. I can bake a meatloaf and baked potatoes without turning on the generator or being plugged into shore power. We've looked at a lot of motorhome where there was a convection/MW with drawers under the cooktop (no propane oven) and when I asked about a regular oven, the dealers all offered to add the propane oven. No one said I couldn't have both. Ask the dealer if they can leave the propane oven and give you the convention/MW, too.

Wendy
Who wants to have her cake and eat it too.

We have both a microwave/convection oven and the propane gas oven.  Sam would not want to do without either.  Things can be stored in the propane oven when not in use but you can't bake without the oven. ;D

Microwave/convection oven wins my vote, hands down!! The less propane stuff I have to worry about, the better I like it.  :)

Regards,
Liz

For the uneven baking  get an unglazed 16 X 16 or 18 X 18 Tile  Make sure its unglazed and place in the over and all will cook fine.  It's  like using an earthen Baking stone.  Works great./

Shayne said:
For the uneven baking  get an unglazed 16 X 16 or 18 X 18 Tile  Make sure its unglazed and place in the over and all will cook fine.  It's  like using an earthen Baking stone.  Works great./

Where do you put the tile? And don't say "in the oven" :)

wendycoke said:
Where do you put the tile? And don't say "in the oven" :)

OK, how about on the floor where you can walk on it.  ;D

Phil said:
OK, how about on the floor where you can walk on it.  ;D

There's always a comedian  :D

I should have been more specific.....where IN THE OVEN do you put the tile?

Shayne said:

Guess we get to leave the tile on the floor. ;D  Sam says that she has never had a problem with uneven baking so we don't need a tile in the oven.

On the bottom below the last tray  There has been a couple of threads on this before.

Shayne said:
On the bottom below the last tray   There has been a couple of threads on this before.

On the bottom below the flame, like under the broiler? Or on the floor that's above the flame? I don't think anyone ever said exactly where to put the silly thing.

Hi Wendy,

Put it directly on top of the sheet metal that your oven burner is under. The idea is that the tile will absorb the heat being given off of the sheet metal and make for more uniform baking. Any heat fired tile will work but so will a pizza stone.
I vote with the micro/conv folks. Since we got our micro/conv at home we only use the regular oven once a year -- to bake the Thanksgiving turkey which is to big for the micro/conv oven. With five grown children, their spouses and children, we buy the largest we can find. I usely end up baking a large ham too since some do not like turkey.

Woody

Thanks, Woody. That's what I needed to know on the tile location. Guess I'll grab a floor tile next time we're in Home Depot.

Wendy

Never mention the broiler because some ovens don';t have a broiler.  On the bottom pan of the oven.

Would a RV propane oven or convection microwave be better for baking things like chicken breasts, oven "box" dinners, frozen pizza, pork chops and BBQ ribs (assuming we don't want to grill outside)? 

Thanks
Gary

Gary,

I prefer to have both the propane oven and the convection/microwave oven.  I've found that juggling everything to be done at the same time with just the microwave or convection is trickey.  I gave up one storage compartment for my propane oven and would not want to be without it.  When preparing a meal I can use the propane oven, the microwave and/or convection oven, and the three-burner stovetop all at the same time so coordinating multiple dishes is easier.  Also, sometimes when it's cold outside I opt to use the propane oven to warm up the coach a little more than it would be otherwise.  Conversely, it's nice to use the m/c when it's hot outside and the A/C is on.  Also, it depends on where you are parked.  If you're boondocking you can use the propane oven, but if you only have the m/c, then you have to turn on the generator to use it.  If you want to bake something that takes 45 minutes, that means you have to have the generator running the whole time and longer if it requires preheating.  I prefer to use the propane oven when not hooked up to electrical power.  When boondocking at rallies, where everyone is parked close together, the propane oven means less noise and fewer fumes that might go into your neighbor's open windows.

As to uneven baking, get an air-filled bake sheet and put it under your other baking dish as you put it in the oven.  That does the same as a tile, but weighs less.  ;)  Actually, I ditched some of my regular baking pans and bought air-filled ones that do a better job of heat distribution.

ArdraF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom