Ford V10 towing capabilities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD Sharp

We have been towing a CRV with a 40' 400hp DP but want to downsize. I am concerned that the V10's in a lot of the motorhomes, we are looking at, will not be able to pull the CRV up all the western states passes we travel over. Please share your experience, good or bad.

I've had two V10 motor homes, a 2010 Fleetwood Bounder, and a Winnebago Aspect both towed my 2005 Jeep Wrangler at around 4,500# in the Western USA (we live in it) without ever an issue. Of course I was never in a hurry when towing, I limited my speed to 58-62 mph. I took the mountain grades (6% mostly) finding the sweet spot of around 3,000 rpm going up and going down, right at 35-45 mph. A Ford V10 will get the job done, just don't be in a hurry.

we pull the 12 JK jeep with no problems. I hardly use the tow hall feature either. Going down hill is when I use it the most because the tranny keeps things under control. What is kinda strange to me is there is no red line markings on the Tach...I guess this engine doesn't mind high revs for a short time.

We had a Vista and pulled a Grand Cherokee all over the west. Through Colorado Durango and Wolf Creek pass. Also worst pull was East out of Salt lake City. Still no trouble. It has plenty of Torque. Your Crv will not be an issue at all.

Pulling a jeep liberty all over the place.
Won't win any races, but does the job just fine.
Up and over Trail Ridge Road in RMNP many times.

JSplaine said:
We have been towing a CRV with a 40' 400hp DP but want to downsize. I am concerned that the V10's in a lot of the motorhomes, we are looking at, will not be able to pull the CRV up all the western states passes we travel over. Please share your experience, good or bad.

We have a 32ft classs with the ford V10 and tow a ford escape with no issues on 3 month trip to florida and back.  I haven't gone into the mountains yet out west (expecting to do so in 2019) but really don't expect any issues.  My rig can purr at 55 mph all day long and depending on wind and grade get as much as 10mpg and average of 8mpg.

The Ford V-10 is great engine/transmission for an RV.  It won't do what a diesel pusher does though.  Just take your time you will go up and down the mountains just fine. 

I have been very impressed with the cooling system for the Ford V-10 chassis.  Going up 7% grades in 90+ temps I have not had the engine temp go over 212 degrees.  I use a scan gauge to monitor the engine temp.  I do keep my RPM's in the 3500-4200 in 3rd or even 2nd gear going up 7%-10% grades.  It the temp starts to climb over 206 I slow down and downshift. 

Our 1999 Rexhall Aerbus had the early Ford V10.  It had 275 hp and IIRC 410 torque.  Pulling our 4500 lb Jeep up a 5+% grade was a struggle.  On a long, meaning more than 5 mile, grade we'd be struggling to maintain 25-30 mph.  But it always made it to the top.  For the last year of ownership, we pulled our Jeep without a problem. 

Our 2005 Pace Arrow with the 8.1 Vortec and the Ultra Power performance package has about 400 hp and more than 500 lbs of torque.  It will pull the the Jeep over the same grades at 35 mph.  But that's pretty much pedal to the metal. 

The Jeep and Pace Arrow combined weight is 3,500 to 4,000 more than the Jeep and Aerbus.  So much of the added power offset by weight. 

I'd buy another Ford V10 if we upgrade and don't buy a diesel. 

A shame, but you will miss that 400 HP Cummins. Had it in our '05 Holiday Rambler and towed our '04 Honda CRV all over the place without a problem.  it was a wonderful engine.

Bill

I've had two V10 motor homes, a 2010 Fleetwood Bounder, and a Winnebago Aspect both towed my 2005 Jeep Wrangler at around 4,500# in the Western USA (we live in it) without ever an issue. Of course I was never in a hurry when towing, I limited my speed to 58-62 mph. I took the mountain grades (6% mostly) finding the sweet spot of around 3,000 rpm going up and going down, right at 35-45 mph. A Ford V10 will get the job done, just don't be in a hurry.
Can you advise me what tow is better? We have a 2012 Ford V10 Thor 36 ft class A. Is the tow bar with 4 wheels down better or a dollie with 2 wheels down bettet? We will be towing a Ford Flex

Last edited:
Can you advise me what tow is better? We have a 2012 Ford V10 Thor 36 ft class A. Is the tow bar with 4 wheels down better or a dollie with 2 wheels down bettet?
We will be towing a Ford Flex

Last edited:
Is the tow bar with 4 wheels down better or a dollie with 2 wheels down bettet?
We will be towing a Ford Flex

Which year and model of Flex? Manufacturers often change whether and how you tow from one year to the next.

I saw an excerpt from the manual for a 2009 online:
Front Wheel Drive (FWD) vehicles:
Tow your Front Wheel Drive vehicle with all four wheels on the ground
or with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly. If you are
using a tow dolly follow the instructions specified by the equipment
provider.
All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles:
Tow your All Wheel Drive vehicle with all four wheels on the ground or
with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. Do
not tow your All Wheel Drive vehicle with the front wheels off
the ground (by using a tow dolly) and the rear wheels on the
ground. This will cause damage to your AWD system. If you are using a
vehicle transport trailer, follow the instruction specified by the
equipment provider.
So among other things, it depends, even in the same model year, whether you have AWD or FWD.

The V10 will do the job. However, the engine noise of the V10 when it's working a grade is intrusive to say the least.

We regularly tow our 3600 lb toad up the 1,500 ft high 4.5% grade through Fancy Gap on I-77 from NC to VA. Our 2001 V10 always gets us there, and we typically can hold at least 50 MPH, passing more trucks than pass us. I added additional engine compartment sound deadening years ago, so the engine noise is not an issue for us.

My 2006 V10 pulled a 3500 lb Saturn Vue over Wolf Creek Pass (just under 11,000 ft with max grade of 6.8%). It was really slow going and that Ford was screaming, but it made it. If I was doing it again, I would unhook and have my wife drive the car.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom