Everything happens for a reason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kdbgoat said:
You guys are kinda rough on 'Zeppy. It's easy to rake someone over the coals, but put yourself in his place. It would have been different if he had got all up the the Corolla driver's face, and started getting belligerent, but he didn't do that. The most negative thing he did was call him Mr. Impatient. I'm sure neither of you guys ever did anything that was an inconvenience to someone else.

Not only have I been in "Zippy's" place many times and patiently waited.. I've had worse ONLY Once was I ever pissed but still I waited.

I pulled into a truck stop.. A mother and teen had puled in and poaked, When the TEEN say which pump I wanted He drove the car over and WASHED THE WINDSHIELD.  He did not get gas.  Just blocked the pump till his mother came back out. That's the only one who erver pissed me off.

Joezeppy said:
I agree with the various comments about being prepared. We bought our first RV in 2003 but I'm always learning new stuff. Luckily this is the first time I've ever experienced a low tire on the road. I always check pressures before leaving home (including the spare) and had the station not had air, I was prepared to change the tire. I've had a surge protector on my Amazon Wish List for a few months and I'll most likely add a TPMS after this experience.

I hated the thought of blocking people in but I did what needed to be done. I am not always the most patient person in the world but I'd like to think that had I been blocked in (barring any emergency that would require stopping at a convenience store), I would have understood. I was using the poorly placed air station, not just double-parked to run in and grab a couple of 40's for the road.

I did see that - I was just being dramatic.  ;D  Actually your post reminded me that I do have a little portable 12V compressor that I have not used in years. Might be a good idea to make sure it still works and toss it in the camper. It takes a while to air up but it's better than nothing.

Just make sure that you've got enough air hose to reach all of your tires.....OR... the compressor has enough electrical cord to take the compressor to all the tires!  ;D

Joezeppy, you got lucky with that tire, if you had not stopped for a while there is a good chance that tire would have blown.  Have you seen what a blow out does to an rv?

I?ve had the occasional low tire scenario happen to one of my vehicles so I took it to the garage and they told me the rim was pitted enough in one spot that it would leak depending on how it was parked, they took the tire off and remounted it using some ?mounting goop? between the tire and rim, didn?t have a problem after that and it didn?t cost a whole lot.

I enjoyed your story and agree it was light hearted and glad you forgot to get fuel so you air up the tire there and not have an issue on the road. I don't think some of the comments were called for. JMHO

I am sorry that some of you folks judged my earlier comments about Joe's unfortunate circumstances so harshly. But I stand by my position firmly and steadfastly. The following is pure conjecture which I took from Joe's comments. Joe had a problem and it  was going to resolved before he left the area, of that there is no question, so no further safety issue existed for Joe.

Joe then made a decision that in MY humble opinion was selfish. He found "Free Air". He then decided without hesitation to swing around and in spite of a group of bikers who were magnanimous about his maneuver, he did not even recognize that he might be seriously inconveniencing someone or even creating a minor inconvenience to a person.

Now from Joe's own comment, there was one person who did not feel that it was appropriate for Joe to block him in. I relate to that guy. And I reiterate, I would not have made the move to the air pump until the crowd lessened. Note I said "I would not". You folks do whatever floats your boat. Me I am very conscience of being a bother to others when I am in the coach.

And again I state I feel it is a requirement to come to the game prepared. I mean, who would ever consider themselves to be an actual "RVer" without the basic tools required to do the job. I mean who here has not done the required tire safety check before departure every time and needed some air. Personally I've never seen an air station at a campsite.  But again, I am stating MY opinion about preparedness. And again you folks do whatever it is you do. I'll have air at the ready for anyone who asks at the campsite in one form or another. And unless I'm bleeding I won't be blocking you in.

Go to the Library link and check out the Check Lists, and perhaps you too will find something you need to do to prevent being a bother to the public. Like maybe an air compressor. 

John Beard said:
I for one go out of my way not to be a bother to someone else, thus my preparedness. Have I gotten in the way, I drive a motor home, of course I get in the way on occasion, but not to the extent that I would block a group of folks in...no way, no how. I think of it this way, Mr. Impatient might have been running an errand for a sick wife, child, or just got off work and had a bad day, I wouldn't have done it.

I'm curious as to what you would have done if you experienced a flat at the same gas station without your on board air compressor? Should he have traveled onto the interstate and risked a blowout (and much more dangerous situation for his family and others) to avoid someone having to take an extra 30 seconds to maneuver around him?

If your answer is only that he should have been prepared then you are implying that many people on this forum are inconsiderate... I do not yet carry an on board air compressor, but I certainly do not consider myself inconsiderate. We all learn as we go. It's great that you are an experienced wise traveler, but we often don't know what we need until...well, we need it. I have no doubt that he learned from his experience and will equip himself to avoid such a situation in the future.

It seems to me that you're casting some pretty harsh judgement. I would like to think that if the motorist realized he was experiencing an unplanned travel emergency he would have cut him some slack... you, knowing the full story, probably should too.

Remember folks, this is the friendliest place on the web

Back
Top Bottom