Buying RV with rental in mind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsm1847

So, I'm super new to RVing and have been researching like crazy.  I went to dealership today and convinced myself into a class A.  What I'm wanting to do is buy and take my family out for 2 weeks to start and work my way up to 2 months (per year) vacation seeing America, maybe even Alaska.  I'm totally not ready to retire and wont be for a long time...
The problem is that I want to rent out my RV to pay for itself and even make some cash as well, but I'm not seeing Class A's renting very well. I'm pretty sure I'm set on an A, but I guess I'll have to reconsider if renters are to scared to rent an A.  Anyone with experience?
For sure, what I'm proposing will work, as it has for others.  I'm just wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot because not a lot of folks will want to rent my A.  HELP!

Have you looked into rental insurance cost? 

Business license cost?

Storage fees?

Repair costs when it breaks done 1,000 miles from you?

Credit card fees from major credit card companies?

Do you have an accountant? Are you familiar with rental income and depreciation schedules?

Are you paying cash for the RV and, if not, will your lender allow you to rent out the RV?

How large of a deposit will you try to obtain and are you familiar with the laws regarding deposits in your state?

When the RV is involved in an accident that kills several people do you know who is going to be sued?

Who pays for damages?  Pet clean up?  Smoky smells?  The poo pyramid? 

Not likely that renters will know or care how to take care of it. 

When was the last time you rented a car and treated it nicely?  I always step on the gas a little harder than I would my own vehicle, just keeping it real.

Thanks for all the replies, except no one answered my question.  I appreciate the concern however.  I own a business already and am familiar with the cost to do so as well.  As mentioned, I am not ready to retire.  I am able to pay for the RV out of pocket even if I didn't rent it out. 
So, back to original question?

The reality is that you?re not likely to even hear from the ?scared? folks you?re concerned about, because they simply won?t call if you?re renting an A and they want a C. The reason many people like Cs for rental is they tend to sleep more people. Since you are familiar with business, and the primary use would be for business, this is a business decision - buy what will bring in the most money. You kinda answered your own question.

The original question: Yes people will rent an A. It is an extremely stupid idea to do so. I would rent out my wife before I would rent out my RV.

Re reading all the comments made me feel like I'm telling my father something.  His responses are a lot like yours ??
So I guess as a nice son I'll answer your questions.

1. Rental insurance cost - I already have commercial insurance and have insured an RV style (box truck) in the past.  I also got an idea from a renter what the cost is, but to be fair I have yet to call my insurance company for a quote.

2.Business License - already acquired

3.Storage - I have 6 acres to store like 12 RVs if need be

4.Repair cost - I'm considering extended warranty for this very reason. If not, no I have not had any prices quoted to me yet except I know they will be higher for A

5.Credit Card fees - I already take credit card payments with my business

I'll skip a few....

6. RV accident, who will sue? My LLC, current or new LLC

7. Poo poo, smoke, etc - cleaning company.  I am in the automotive industry and know a ton of people who do restorations before you purchase a old beat up vehicle and make it sparkle again.

8.Who pays? - Deposit, so I will have to schedule accordingly.

9. Treating RV badly - I'm aware of this, and factored it in the equation.

Ok Dads (Maybe Moms), I hope I answered your concerns and now I have your approval to get married....oops I mean buy an RV.  ??
I'm totally not offended, I get it.  You all are just looking out for a noob and I appreciate that!

Sun2Retire said:
The reality is that you?re not likely to even hear from the ?scared? folks you?re concerned about, because they simply won?t call if you?re renting an A and they want a C. The reason many people like Cs for rental is they tend to sleep more people. Since you are familiar with business, and the primary use would be for business, this is a business decision - buy what will bring in the most money. You kinda answered your own question.
Thanks, I hear ya!  That's definitely going to be a class C....except I want a class A.  That's why I'm back and forth ing.  I was just hoping the forum would say " Oh yeah everyone rents out A's" I guess not.  Thanks again

SeilerBird said:
The original question: Yes people will rent an A. It is an extremely stupid idea to do so. I would rent out my wife before I would rent out my RV.

That's why you never got married Tom! ;D

SeilerBird said:

What is your reason to say rental of an A is stupid?

kdbgoat said:
That's why you never got married Tom! ;D

??  I was going to say my wife is pretty great and I would rather lose everything then her.  Butttttttt I know I probably got a good one and a real blessing

jsm1847 said:
??  I was going to say my wife is pretty great and I would rather lose everything then her.  Butttttttt I know I probably got a good one and a real blessing

I feel the same way. :)) :)

SeilerBird said:

Tom, did you forget. You don't have a wife.  ;D :D ;)

One factor affecting the popularity of class Cs that I've not seen mentioned here is that for many people a class A can be more intimidating to drive than a class C is, though in the end many of us think it's easier in many ways. And jsm, just so you know, you're on a site where the question of renting out a personal RV has been discussed many times, with most people here being very strongly against it.

If you're really prepared to deal with all the bad sides of renting, then go ahead and get your class A (for renters I'd suggest it not have too many amenities -- renters won't know how to deal with them), but be prepared to not get too many takers. Still, since few if any of us have actually been in the RV rental business, perhaps there's more class A demand than most of us would expect -- certainly if I had to rent a class A would be much preferred, but then I've already owned a few.

Jsm, I hope you stick around on this forum.  You appear to be very patient and tactful.  As Larry N noted, this particular topic seems to touch a nerve among some members, but I have found it to be overwhelmingly positive and helpful.  Once you get your RV, you?ll find it to be a very nice resource.

A lot of times people come on here that have no business experience hence my questions. You are familiar with the associated problems. 

I don't think I've ever seen a class A for rent but I think it would work if you were in a large population area. A lot of people come here from Europe and rent RV's so if you could figure out how to advertise to them it might help.

Also it would be great for people who were thinking about buying a class A but wanted to try one first. I always suggest to people renting first before buying an RV if they have no experience.

I think part of the problem with a big Class A rental is that potential renters are just scared of driving a big vehicle. Seeing how many rental Class Cs I have seen with crumped or scraped storage compartments, I would say many were right to be spooked. The smaller the Class A you would buy, the more likely it would be rented IMHO. However small size directly impacts livability for your family, as does the suggestion to get a really basic model.

I asked a similar question here awhile back and got pretty much the same input/advice. I do think the numerous reasons to think twice about renting have merit but at the same time none of these issues-- as you point out-- are anywhere near insurmountable.

You might try contacting other A owners on sites like Outdoorsy to gain some insight. Some might see you as a competitor and be reluctant to discuss their experiences with renting but I think others would be willing to answer some basic questions about their rental RV. We were all set to rent a Class A once figuring that would be a good way to get a feel for the actual experience before shelling out a lot of $$$ but the day before we were to pick it up they had problems with the engine and had to cancel. Have to say that incident didn't go a long way toward embolding us as far as a purchase goes!

If you do ahead with buying/renting an RV hopefully you'll share the experience here as I expect there's a number of members who would really like to hear more about that subject.

jsm1847 said:
So, I'm super new to RVing and have been researching like crazy.  I went to dealership today and convinced myself into a class A.  What I'm wanting to do is buy and take my family out for 2 weeks to start and work my way up to 2 months (per year) vacation seeing America, maybe even Alaska.  I'm totally not ready to retire and wont be for a long time...
The problem is that I want to rent out my RV to pay for itself and even make some cash as well, but I'm not seeing Class A's renting very well. I'm pretty sure I'm set on an A, but I guess I'll have to reconsider if renters are to scared to rent an A.  Anyone with experience?
For sure, what I'm proposing will work, as it has for others.  I'm just wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot because not a lot of folks will want to rent my A.  HELP!

Back
Top Bottom