Generator Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamie1968

Hi there. I am new to owning an RV and I'm hoping some of you wise folks can answer a question or questions I've got about an RV that I inherited from my father.
It's a 1994 Winnebago Vectra with the turbo diesel pusher set up. Other than being old, it's in pretty good shape. But, I'm running into some "newbie" issues I think.
The current problem I'm having is with the 5500 watt Onan onboard generator. The generator itself, starts and runs just fine. But, I'm not getting power from it, for anything but the 12 VDC stuff,
and charging the coach batteries. There is a switch up above the level station in the kitchen, next to the breaker panel, that has two modes. One position is for 30 amp shore power, and the other is for
50 amp or generator power. When I try to use the generator, I place the switch in the latter position, but I get no AC power from it.
I've looked through all the manuals that my Dad passed along with the rig, which he was pretty meticulous about keeping them up along with documentation about work done. But, I'm not finding any schematics that address this part of the system.
If Dad was still with us, I'm sure that he would know exactly what I'm doing wrong. But, unfortunately, that was just something that didn't come up whenever we were out camping.
Am I just not switching something over, that everybody just "knows" to do? Or do I have a problem with the generator head?

Thanks in advance. And please ask any questions, that may help with your answers.
And I look forward to spending time on this forum. It looks like there's a lot of good people here.

Two thoughts.  One based on the AGE of the RV and a 3rd you won't like.

FIrst a comment. Today's ONAN generators if they don't make with teh 120vac they shut down. I mean why waste the gas. The error code will be a "Not craking fast enough'Low bztt" but that's not the problem (Since you said it ran)

Older Onan.. I very simply do not know.

On my ONAN there are TWO circuit breakers they are "Right/Left" and it is very hard to see the ON / OFF marking less the light is just right. In fact it was nearly a year before I found them!!!  A flashlight straight on may help.

Finally the age related item.. Many OLDER RVs had what I call a MANUAL transfer switch.  Look in the outside ELectrical bay or in the bays in front of or behind the generator for an outlet. YOu plug the shore cord into the outlet for Generator use.

:)) Thanks! I will definitely look for that, when I get home tonight. Never thought I would have to plug it in... That will definitely be a "DUH!" moment, if that's is the case.
Just figured it was internally wired for generator operation. But, that makes sense. You wouldn't want back voltage going through the generator windings.

Jamie1968 said:
:)) Thanks! I will definitely look for that, when I get home tonight. Never thought I would have to plug it in... That will definitely be a "DUH!" moment, if that's is the case.
Just figured it was internally wired for generator operation. But, that makes sense. You wouldn't want back voltage going through the generator windings.

Not as ?duh? as you might think. Indeed, many newer RVs use an automatic transfer switch and as long as they?re working they?re very convenient. But they break, quite often actually (mine did last year). And when you?re on a trip and suddenly can?t get genset power, that?s a pretty big deal (especially if you?d planned on dry camping). Suddenly the inconvenience of plugging in a cord doesn?t seem so inconvenient.

I?ve never owned a ?plug-in style? but I believe the genset receptacle would be located immediately adjacent to the shore power cord compartment.

Your dad would be glad to know you?re keeping the old girl out on the road. Welcome to the forum

I had an older Winnebago and to use the generator you had to unplug the shore power cord and plug in the generator cord. I bet that is the problem. The plug is located in the generator/power center compartment. It is a metal box mounted to the side wall of the compartment.

Sun2Retire, Thank you.
Yeah, this was his "Baby" and I'm glad that she ended up with me. Over the years, I made many parts for things that he wanted to upgrade on it. Since I'm the only machinist (other than him) in the family
the job always fell to me. Maybe that's why he thought I should have it.
Lol! I had only driven it twice before I got it permanently. And those were very short hops. Learning to drive something that's basically "cab over" when you're only used to driving pick up trucks was a real trip.
For my first outing, I had to drive it 180 miles, part of it through Houston, Texas. Needless to say, I need to have the seat re-upholstered after that baptism. And, I'm pretty sure there are hand imprints at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. But, Hey... I made it.
And we have had it out a dozen times since. We are thoroughly enjoying it.

sc4668. I'm definitely going to look for that tonight. As I said, that never occurred to me. I just thought they "always" had an automatic switching device on them for shore power.

Thanks!

Most today DO have automatic switching.. But many membrers of this forum have been around a while.. One of the advantages of a forum like this.. Odds are.> We have seen it.

I do not know for dure if that's your problem. An ATS can fail and that will cause your symptoms too. Mine did. under warranty

One thing they forget to teach you. When switching from Generator to Shore or the other way around.. Stay OFF for three minutes

IE Kill Grnerator and 3 minutes later plug in and turn on SHORE POWER. or the other way around.

"Plug-in" genset outlets were quite common back in the early 90's.  I even had a 2002 coach wired like that, but that was fairly unusual among Class A coaches by then.  There are still Class C models that use an outlet rather than an auto-transfer switch.

It's not a bad thing - just get in the habit of plugging the shore cord into the genset outlet whenever it is not actually plugged to a shore source. That way you are always ready to use the genset if the need arises.

Back
Top Bottom