How does dual ducted AC work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zebrex

I have a 2018 Stryker 2916. It has 50 amp service  one 15000 BTU ac and claims to be dual ducted and pre wired for a second AC. We found out this past weekend that the one AC doesn't get the job done. My understanding of dual ducting is that the new rear AC unit would blow into the same vents as the current center mounted unit. To my mind this would result in them cancelling each other out. Am I missing something about how dual ducted AC works? I considered a non ducted ac in the rear but most of the time the happijac bed is about 10 inches below where the AC unit would sit making the output vents on a non ducted unit worthless.

Most dual a/c systems feed the same duct system, but not all.  In some brands, the rear a/c either has its own separate duct or simply blows direct into the bedroom area.

With two a/c units feeding the same duct, they simply increase the air flow volume throughout the system.  Yeah, they push against each other at some point in the ducting, but that just means each of them is pushing air through about half the system's outlets, thus increasing the total flow.  They don't "cancel each other out".

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Most dual a/c systems feed the same duct system, but not all.  In some brands, the rear a/c either has its own separate duct or simply blows direct into the bedroom area.

With two a/c units feeding the same duct, they simply increase the air flow volume throughout the system.  Yeah, they push against each other at some point in the ducting, but that just means each of them is pushing air through about half the system's outlets, thus increasing the total flow.  They don't "cancel each other out".

Thank you Gary,
In my case I believe both (center and rear)  ACs will blow into the same duct system. My bedroom is in the front and capable of having a non ducted ac there as well but it stays cool in the bedroom if the doors are closed.
My main AC is in the center of the camper and ductwork goes forward to the bedroom and rearward the the garage area. The New ac would mount in the garage area above the happijac bed and blow forward into the existing duct work.  I am needing to increase airflow in main cabin so it seems like adding the second AC will be worth while. Your answer is what i was hoping to hear.

How dual ducting works
Two Ducts run full length, both A/C's are connected as the ducts pass them

What happens if you run both
More cold. Much more cold  The air flow is increased

They do not cancel They combine
Kind of like batteries in parallel

Back
Top Bottom