A/C Blower Fan Runs Then Shuts Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakkerus

I have a 2016 Salem Cruise Lite Fifth Wheel. When using the air conditioning on any of the available modes set from the thermostat (Auto/High/Low), the blower fan will come on for a period of time. I have not determined how long it is staying on, because it is significantly long enough that I stop paying attention to it. At some point, the fan will shut off, and not come back on. I believe the compressor is still running during these periods of shut off. I have not found any tripped breakers. The only way to get the fan/blower to restart, is to turn the system off from the thermostat, wait a few seconds, and then try to turn it back on. I am fairly technical, but not sure where to start looking... Suggestions?

Does it have a wall thermostat or controls directly on the a/c ceiling unit?

Sounds like a controller problem to me, but could be thermostat or the a/c circuit board.

Mine was doing that and it turned out to be bad bearings that heated up and locked the shaft. After so many cycles of that it ruined the motor.  This may not be your problem but it is another possibility.

@Gary. It has a wall thermostat. I originally thought it might be the thermostat, but I believe the compressor is still coming on as it is supposed to, which would lead me to believe it is sending thr proper signal. On that note, can you put any thermostat in to replace it? I.E. Something like a nest?

@Cat. Any way to check the bearings?

Thanks.

I'm a bit unclear about the problem(s).  Is the fan & compressor staying on longer than it should, or is it so hot that they actually should be running a long time.  But when it does, the fan eventually stops even though the compressor continues to run?

RV thermostats run on 12v power and use a +12v line to signal that heating or cooling is needed.  However, more than a few residential style thermostats will works on 12v, even though they are usually spec'ed for a higher DC voltage.  Most have some trouble  supporting Hi/Lo Fan speeds, but that may not be a concern for you.  There are previous threads in this forum about changing out thermostats, and videos on YouTube about it as well.  That sort of upgrade used to be a hot item, but modern RV thermostats are digital and as sophisticated as most residential types.

Here's one video with a Nest:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQjtQMRPIjc

@Gary
As a resident of Texas, the temperature has already risen above 100 on some days. So the problem, is that it is so hot that they should definitely still be running. I wouldn't be as concerned about the High/Low speeds of the fan provided the auto mode was working. I only switched into the high/low mode recently when I realized that auto wasn't properly starting the fan the way it should. One of my complaints with my dometec thermostat, is that while it is digital, it only displays the set temperature with no way to read what it deems the current temperature is.

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom