Onan Generator - Repair Shop Says I Need New Heads. I'm skeptical! Need Advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scgarbad

I am looking for your thoughts and advice. I will try to keep it short out of respect for your time.

Onan Marquis Gold 5500 in my 2007 Keystone Raptor:

I could not get the generator started after sitting. I had started it occasionally while in storage but was not diligent enough. I will admit that they trailer sat for 3+ years as we were busy with new twins. I did get it started during that time and also last spring but after getting it started last spring I could not get it started again. I figured that the Gas was bad and that the carb was shellacked and would need to be replaced.

I took it to repair shop.

1. They replaced the carb & drained the gas.
2. They said that one or more valves was sticking due to gunk and that the rocker arm broke when trying to lift the valve(s). The rocker arm was replaced.
3. There is a note that it was started and was blowing smoke so the valves were also adjusted.
4. Cost $900+

Took it home and tried to start it and could not get it going. Tried the next day, same thing. It would crank fine but never even sputtered like it wanted to start. Brough it back. Mechanic was stumped and would need to bring out the generator expert that fixed it. The guy finally gets to it and now says that the heads need to be replaced because the valves are sticking...another $1800. Quote - "The bad gas caused all of this".

Something with this story does not sit right with me but I am not a mechanic:

1. Can a sticky valve really break a rocker arm?
2. How did they get it started and why would it work for them one day after getting fixed and not the next for me?
3. Can bad gas really destroy heads to the point that I would need new heads?

They are willing to take the carb back and credit it to me along with a portion of the labor but I would still be out $300 with no working Gen. I feel they should refund me all to compensate for the extra time and missed memorial day trip as a result of saying it was fixed when it was not.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

It sounds like they are just throwing parts at it rather than properly troubleshooting. There is no need to replace the heads unless the valve stems are severely corroded making them impossible to remove. Regarding the broken rocker, a valve stuck in the closed position could cause this but usually the push rod will bend first.

I bought a good used one with low hours for 900 dollars and swapped my old one out. Might be an option instead of throwing money at the other one. Perhaps a new mechanic could solve the  problem. Dont run gas with ethanol in the genny and leave it sit for extended periods of time. It can cause all kinds of trouble. Use only ethanol free gas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom