Suburban SW6D Hot Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonCMcc

Good Morning
First time poster and thanks for any help you can offer.

I recently purchased a 2018 Forrest River Rockwood Premier Pop-up. It has a Suburban SW6D water tank/heater that will not lite up.

When I flip the power button on I can hear it cycling through the ignition process 3 times. If during this time I put a lighter to the area around the ignitor it will ignite, but only for about 5 seconds before it clicks again and shuts off.

I removed the thermocouple and wiped it off. I removed and reset all connectors. The gas feed is good because it does light if I manually light it  but again it only stays lit for about 5 seconds.

My initial thought is the thermocouple might be the main problem as it isn't generating a spark - if it were I believe it would lit up but it doesn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don

Welcome to the forum.
Did you check for spider web or mud wasp nest inside the burner tube?  It doesn't take much of a obstruction to disrupt the flow of air causing the system to think there is a problem and shuts down.

Sun2Retire said:
If this is a 2018 isn’t it still under warranty?

Yes it is still under warranty, but the soonest they can get to it is mid to end of July. Figured if its something easy I might be able to fix it myself

Don

Rene T said:
Welcome to the forum.
Did you check for spider web or mud wasp nest inside the burner tube?  It doesn't take much of a obstruction to disrupt the flow of air causing the system to think there is a problem and shuts down.

is the burner tub hollow all the way through? If so then I will try to run something like a coat hanger through it tonight.

Even though I'm getting gas because I can ignite it manually - if there is any type of blockage it will effect it?

thanks
Don

You can very easily remove it and clean it with a bottle brush or similar. It would be easier than trying to do it in place. Using a wire may not touch the nest of there is one.

Rene T said:
You can very easily remove it and clean it with a bottle brush or similar. It would be easier than trying to do it in place. Using a wire may not touch the nest of there is one.

I will give that a try tonight.

And if there is no obstruction, any other ideas?

I'm planning on buying a thermocouple today just incase that's what it is.

Also try cleaning the igniter/flame  detector connections (what you called a thermocouple!!)  and verifying it will sit properly in the flame. Despite being new, they may be somewhat corroded.

If the igniter tip isn't sparking, and the flame won't stay in when manually lit, my guess is that the igniter is not getting or sending voltage to the circuit board. Even when manually lit, the circuit board will shut the gas off within several seconds if it does not receive confirmation of the flame. The igniter is also the flame sensor.  Maybe somethign as simple as a disconnected wire or a bit of corrosion at the connection.  A bad igniter is a possibility, of course,

View the service manual for an SW6D at:

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/subsw.pdf

Gary RV_Wizard said:
If the igniter tip isn't sparking, and the flame won't stay in when manually lit, my guess is that the igniter is not getting or sending voltage to the circuit board. Even when manually lit, the circuit board will shut the gas off within several seconds if it does not receive confirmation of the flame. The igniter is also the flame sensor.  Maybe somethign as simple as a disconnected wire or a bit of corrosion at the connection.  A bad igniter is a possibility, of course,

View the service manual for an SW6D at:

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/subsw.pdf

I've verified the flame tube is clear, removed and cleaned off the igniter tips, double checked all connections and still the same. I've ordered a new igniter as that was the cheapest way so far. If that doesn't fix the problem then it will go back to the dealer I purchased from and they can fix it under the warranty. I was just hoping to get it fixed prior to the end of July which is when the dealer is telling me they can schedule it.

I'm going to think that if the ignitor isn't the problem then maybe the circuit board?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Keep in mind that if the dealer finds out that you started replacing parts on your own, it may be a battle for you to get them to look at it under warrantee. It may be better to contact them and see if a mobile repair guy can come to your location and they would cover the cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom