Colorado best places

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragline

Planning our 2019 trip to Colorado with this forums help our trip this spring to Utah was absolutely stellar Thanks! Now we are planning a 3-4 week trip to Colorado next spring we do want to go to Durango,Silverton ride the train pikes peak Mesa verde white water river rafting and we love to hike fly fish and are thinking of ending at RMNP west side, we?re looking for advice travel direction etc we?ll be coming from northern Indiana & are leaving around the 1st of May so I was thinking of starting south working north maybe going through Texas just open for opinions suggestions and any advice of where to go what not to miss
Thanks All!

Not sure how far west of the RMNP you plan on going,  after we left Estes Park via the trail ridge,  we went to Stagecoach State Park near Steam Boat Springs.  It was a short drive from Stagecoach to Steam Boat and the park was awesome.

Warning not al RVs can go up and over the trail rig.  We did it with a 32' class C, and had the DW drive the toad, following.  There are lots of switch backs and 12,500 feet of altitude.

If you're rail fans, then the Cumbres & Toltec RR between Chama, NM and Antonito, CO is a marvelous ride, too (I like it better than the Durango Silverton, though both are wonderful). As Bob indicates, Trail Ridge Rd. isn't for most motorhomes. I've been up there lots of times, and I live in the Denver area. If I need to get to Grand Lake and such, I take the long way around going I-70 to U.S. 40 over Berthoud pass then north to Granby/Grand Lake. BTW, there is a great commercial campground just east of Grand Lake and literally a short walk from RMNP, where we've stayed a couple of times. Winding River Resort has horseback rides, chuckwagon breakfast, and it even has sites for people hauling horses -- the place is huge.

While you're there, Grand Lake Lodge is a great place to eat, with a view, too.

We are still considering part of Colorado but it seems to be very very busy in the summer, not surprising as it is beautiful but we do like quieter places.  Anyhow, here are some responses I had to a post which may help:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,111580.msg1008529.html#msg1008529

Thanks for the info so far I?m wondering after reading the posts in the link if we?re going to early?

Depends on the year, whether you're leaving too early. Some years have more snow later in the spring than other years. This year some of the high country got a fair chunk of snow in May, and some areas didn't. But even when there is snow, in a day or so the roads are usually pretty clear in May or later, so there's a good chance you'll be OK if you watch current weather and plan or modify plans accordingly.

As for Pikes Peak cog railway:

"After 126 years of operation, The Pikes Peak Cog Railway has decided not to reopen this spring for the 2018 season, or for the foreseeable future.  Over the past several months, the railroad has undergone a major evaluation and it has been determined that the infrastructure and equipment has run its course..."

https://www.cograilway.com/

Very sad  :(

Glenwood Canyon is gorgeous.  We also stumbled upon Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction, and Grand Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is worth a stop with no crowds at all.

If you go to Antonito to ride the train there is a small rv park (Canyon Bonito RV park and Fishing ...?). They offer about 35 Full Hook Up 50A sites and own about a half mile of Trout Stream as well. Great people and really in the woods (we woke up with bear prints on the door once). Even I, a non fly fisherman, caught trout every day I fished.

Ernie

X2 on the Winding River Resort mentioned by Larry. We have been there several times in a 35? class A. Sites 11 & 15 are very nice. A nice stream, horse riding, etc. we go there as a weekend getaway. Rocky Mtn National park is right there, beautiful area.

There's a huge forest fire near Durango right now... you might want to look ahead if that will impact your trip.

Mckenna Maxwell said:
There's a huge forest fire near Durango right now... you might want to look ahead if that will impact your trip.

Yes, last night's report said it was up to 16,000 acres, and they don't expect it to go out soon. And I just read that they have also closed the entire San Juan Forest. (As of 5PM MDT it's 22,000 acres). There are also 5 other fires in Colorado.

"What the closure means for the general public is that forest campgrounds, day use areas, roads, and trails will be closed. This includes wilderness areas, and prohibits hiking, dispersed camping, and other recreational activities."

"County roads, state roads, and U.S. highways that cross Forest Service land will not be affected by this order."

Jomo said:
Glenwood Canyon is gorgeous.  We also stumbled upon Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction, and Grand Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is worth a stop with no crowds at all.

I second the Colorado National Monument (funny, we "stumbled" upon it ourselves -had never heard of it) and Black Canyon of the Gunnison -both are pretty amazing and worth going and staying.

Sad about the Pikes Peak Cog -that was a hoot.  Oh, well, next time we go we'll just have to ride the motorcycle up!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom