generator shutting off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsilvestrone

Hi everyone, Anybody might have an opinion on this? Alfa 2006 diesel pusher,  Aug2017 had generator taken out in Mt shop & belt was replaced, Dec 2017 after generator was working, now wouldnt stay runnning, shop in Mesa,Az replaced bunch of burnt out wires( gave to me) & gen worked fine until back in Mt May2018...It will run mostly, but often times just stops, then wilk shut right off after restarting, shop says " gen takes lots of power to run" so if batt low ,gen won't run, but it shuts off & won't run even at 75%-79% batt power..this is an intermittent thing, right now gen has run for 45 mjn straight, but this week off & on, & will shut off intermittenly & not come back in & stay on???!! Anyone have some hints or advice would be greatly appreciated cause it is really frustrating especially when these RV shops can't fix things.....Thank yoh, Robert

I would find a new shop!! This sure sounds like a fuel supply problem. Where were all those burned out wires from??

AFIK, Diesel engines usually do not need any power to run once started. A low battery will cause a start failure in that the engine won't turn over sufficiently. They are shut down by cutting off the fuel supply which could be by an electric solenoid or even a manual cable.

Make and model of that generator might be helpful for someone with a better insight into your problem.

Other things to check: Fuel supply is critical in a diesel engine: fuel line from the tank, it may be an old rubber one, cracked and admitting air. Fuel pump in tank or external, fuel filters.

RV shops are often not the best place to fix things like engines and generators, they often have difficulties with the house stuff, let alone the engines.

Thank you for your insight, i think i need to find a shop that fixes generators.....Robert

What is the brand?  If it's an Onan, contact Cummins of which Onan is a product.  I "think" I recall that some generators have high altitude settings for those who are in the mountains a lot.  Look for a switch that might relate to altitude because the fuel-air mixture changes with higher altitudes.  If this only happens at higher altitudes then it probably has to do with adjusting the fuel-air mixture.

ArdraF

It is a Generac gen.,  at 5,000 feet now in Mt., but i don't think it is altitude, it's real funny, this am gen ran for 45 min straight, now 1800, won't stay on. Driving me crazy, need to have someone check fuel line and/ or solenoid.....Thanks,Robert

Sounds like fuel pump to me.  Like others have said, it only needs power to start, except for an electric fuel pump.  My understanding is that diesel is only affected above 10,000 feet elevation.

ZinLuvR said:
Sounds like fuel pump to me.  Like others have said, it only needs power to start, except for an electric fuel pump.  My understanding is that diesel is only affected above 10,000 feet elevation.

Even with fuel injection that's not likely true (except with a turbocharger, so a gas burner with turbo would also be unaffected). With a carburetor and no turbo, adjustments are beneficial even just over 3,000 feet, especially on a warm day, and needed at and above 5,000. And keep in mind that we're talking density altitude*, so at higher temps the D.A. is a lot higher, so you might be at an equivalent of 7K or more.

*Density Altitude: The air density based on a sea level barometer of 29.92 and temperature of 59?F (15?C) and 0% humidity, with a lapse rate (temperature decline) of 3.5?F (2?C) per 1,000 feet altitude. At 5,000 feet that temperature would be about 41?F, so at 75?F you'd be the equivalent of quite a bit higher, around 7200 feet. This is also what an aircraft's performance tables are based on.

Since you have an Alfa, you may want to check Facebook or Groups.io.  Both have Alfa specific forums.  OTOH, this group has a lot of experience also.  I personally monitor all three.

Back
Top Bottom