Scissor Jacks on my 2008 Fleetwood Jamboree 30H

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphcrud

Hi Guys,
While changing my oil in my generator, I noticed that there is a pair of scissor jacks installed (welded?) on the leaf springs of this unit.  I honestly didn't take a good look as they appeared rusty and dirty, so whether they were bolted on or welded on, I really don't know.
My question is , are these original equipment to this used MH or are these aftermarket ?

I have read where some guys swear by these jacks while others swear at them.  Are they necessary and should we be using them.

Comments are always appreciated.

Are they welded right on the springs or next to them? I can't imagine anyone welding to a high tensile spring for fear of the spring loosing some of it's strength. Who knows. Hopefully someone will chime in who has them. The other issue would be reaching them to extend and retract.

Reaching in to extend them is not an issue.  The 'other guy' had a crank with a socket on it which makes them accessible.  I have the crank.

Murphcrud said:
Reaching in to extend them is not an issue.  The 'other guy' had a crank with a socket on it which makes them accessible.  I have the crank.

You didn't answer my question. Are they welded right on the springs?  If they are, they're not doing anything for stabilizing the RV. They would be stabilizing the axle to the ground. The RV would still bounce around.  The jacks need to be on the frame.

Jacks are welded to the frame.  We still notice some rocking when we walk inside the MH.  Is this common?

Would it lessen the rocking if we installed jacks in the same position near the front wheels?

To eliminate the rocking totally 100% is almost impossible. More noticable while someone else walking around while laying in bed. That is usually what always bother me.

Thanks for your feedback. 
That is exactly what we are noticing.  Sounds like it is quite normal.  When you set the jacks, are you just setting them to basically touch (and a bit more) a 2 x 6 or similar board?

When we had our 5vers I experminted several ways. If you have to extend them a long way you are better off to put blocks under instead if extending pust 45deg angle. This is just what I noticed. The further the jacks were opened the more movement. Do some expermiting to see what works best for you.

You have to take substantial weight off the vehicle suspension to eliminate rocking.  You will still feel some vibration - it is no where near as solid as a fixed site house.

Ghostman said:
When we had our 5vers I experminted several ways. If you have to extend them a long way you are better off to put blocks under instead if extending pust 45deg angle. This is just what I noticed. The further the jacks were opened the more movement. Do some expermiting to see what works best for you.

More great advice that makes a lot of sense.  Thanks again.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
You have to take substantial weight off the vehicle suspension to eliminate rocking.  You will still feel some vibration - it is no where near as solid as a fixed site house.

Thanks Gary.  I will use your advice and what the Ghostman advised as well. 
Hope to at least reduce the 'Rock n Roll' in our MH.  You are so correct as my fixed site house never had this issue.

Back
Top Bottom