Any guidance would be appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob T

I am posting in this section but if moderator feels better elsewhere, please feel free to move.

Have the coach out for the first time in a month and when putting out the passenger side slide I noticed what seemed to be shuddering or grating noise.
The better half was outside and she described as grating.

Looked into the receivers for the rectangular slide supports and see what as a woodworker I would call UHMW. (Looks like a nylon cutting board).

There are pieces of the UHMW cracked and/or broken. They are HWH  model AP39797 slides.

I assume they are low friction guides/bearings (photo?s attached)

Can anyone give me some guidance on
1 Would this cause the noises?
2 Are they difficult or possiblefor me to replace myself?
3 Would this have caused what now looks to be dark marks on the carpet?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• 720051FC-B2E4-41E4-844E-93317D4037D3.jpeg
    720051FC-B2E4-41E4-844E-93317D4037D3.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 0EDCD6A7-D1B4-4AA0-895B-73ACEA8EE9C5.jpeg
    0EDCD6A7-D1B4-4AA0-895B-73ACEA8EE9C5.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 72
  • A3215449-EC10-43BF-A70B-1818CC1CFD15.jpeg
    A3215449-EC10-43BF-A70B-1818CC1CFD15.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 3C9606F0-7AB0-4750-AE09-FDE6DF910B84.jpeg
    3C9606F0-7AB0-4750-AE09-FDE6DF910B84.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 1E08D84B-CCEC-45A1-B194-1FAF975BDB6A.jpeg
    1E08D84B-CCEC-45A1-B194-1FAF975BDB6A.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 47
  • 4F4DE87A-B406-46BF-AFFD-A08EA4B2B453.jpeg
    4F4DE87A-B406-46BF-AFFD-A08EA4B2B453.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 51
Bob, this is the right place for your post. It's a bit difficult to tell from the pictures but the nylon slide glides can be cracked with no problem but you don't want pieces of them missing. Those metal slides should be kept clean and never lubed with anything other than a dry lubricant.

As far as causing the noise, I suppose it could - just a guess on my part. I've never attempted a slide repair so no pearls of wisdom for you,  sorry.

John, I always appreciate your wisdom.
There appear to be broken pieces and the pieces broken are missing.
I?ve had a look at this and it doesn?t look like an easy fix. Probably beyond what I can do in my yard but maybe someone else here has tackled it and can give me advice .
I will do some more research and see what I can find.
If no pearls of wisdom from anyone else and I try it I will document with photos and post what I?ve learned.
From one ex boater to another, fair winds and following seas.
Have a great evening.
Thanks
Bob

Bob,
On our 2004 Journey the nylon? guides started cracking but didn't come apart. I made an appointment at HWH and took it there for replacement of the guides. It wasn't that expensive and was done in less than one day. They also inspected everything on the HWH system and gave us a thorough report.
After leaving HWH we enjoyed a few days at the Amana Colonies.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

indiana journey said:
Bob,
On our 2004 Journey the nylon? guides started cracking but didn't come apart. I made an appointment at HWH and took it there for replacement of the guides. It wasn't that expensive and was done in less than one day. They also inspected everything on the HWH system and gave us a thorough report.
Thank you sir, I couldn't get there before mid to end of Oct and just hope that I don't have major problems before.
That is why I am thinking of doing the job myself if I can find information.
Have emailed HWH so hopefully they will reply with some link to the proper service manual and/or tell me not practical to tackle myself.

May I ask what the job cost at HWH?

Thanks again

Bob

Here is a link to a video of how one RVer changed the plastic bearings on his Winnebago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41dX04bj7Y

Thanks Paul, I did watch that video you linked to but it seems like the bearings are different from what I have.

Mine have the tube ram that goes into the rectangular receiver and the bearings (plastic pads) are on the top and bottom of the receiver tubes.

From initial look, it seems like the inner tube (ram) has to be removed to access the bearings.  The top ones look almost like they are riveted? to the top of the tube and the lower ones appear to have a couple of perhaps 1/4" short machine fasteners holding bearings and shims in place.

Appreciate any replies as I think I need to get this fixed to ensure proper slide operation.

Hoping I can do and avoid the exorbitant prices and time the dealer will take.

Appreciate your reply.

Have a great evening.

Bob

Try this link:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f259/slide-out-nylon-supports-repost-209981.html

Bob,
We had the guides on the front slide replaced, the rear was fine, last year at HWH for $362.06. Very Professional work by HWH employees.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

Indiana Journey, thank you for that info..

RedT, thank you also. Looked at that link and it is so close to what I have.
Makes me think it might be reasonable job to do in my yard.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom