Ford V-10 in a class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayhawk714

The wife and I are looking at a 2017 29 foot class "A" Fleetwood which has the Ford V-10. I am looking for input on the V-10. Good, bad or whatever. I know for sure the gas mileage will suck. Seems like any gas engine in a RV sucks when it comes to fuel mileage.  Does it have good power/torque? Dependable? Any problems? Hope this comes back in the positive. My wife really, REALLY wants this coach.

The older V-10 in our 34' coach has gotten us everywhere we've wanted to go, including up 6% grades towing a 3500 lb toad. The Ford V-10 is pretty much a bullet proof engine, but be aware that it does like to wind up a lot on hills. It won't hurt it though, the engine is built for it. The newer V-10's have a bit more horsepower and torque than mine, and an improved 6 speed transmission as well, for even better performance.

Outstanding! Love to hear that. I had heard that some of the very early V-10's had a bad habit of popping out spark plugs.  If that is the same six speed tranny as I have in my 2011 Ford F250 that is great because that's one super tranny. It pulls our 32 ft fifth wheel with no problem.

The problem years for the Ford V10 were generally anything built prior to about 2006, though some years were worse than others.

Fuel mileage is about the same as a diesel as well.  Or the GM V8 gas engine. MPG is awful mostly because of air resistance - it takes a lot of horsepower to push that big frontal slab through the air at 60 mph.

jayhawk714 said:
The wife and I are looking at a 2017 29 foot class "A" Fleetwood which has the Ford V-10. I am looking for input on the V-10. Good, bad or whatever. I know for sure the gas mileage will suck. Seems like any gas engine in a RV sucks when it comes to fuel mileage.  Does it have good power/torque? Dependable? Any problems? Hope this comes back in the positive. My wife really, REALLY wants this coach.
Go git the coach for her. The newer Ford V-10 is (A) the only gas engine available in new coaches and one of the best/most bulletproof engins out there. (B) The new 6 speed is better than its predecessors. Your mileage is not going to be great but I would forcast 6-9+ and maybe a little more after break in.Yes the engine is made to run at hi RPM but you can't over rev it.
Let us know how it things go.
Bill

I'm new with the V-10 so I won't be much help, but I can tell you we picked up our new Winnie Friday and drove it 6 hours home -wind, hills, etc. and I really do like the way the thing pulls.  I think our new coach is 18k pounds and the V-10 really does a great job of getting it moving from a stop as well. 

In a 29' coach the V-10 will have plenty of power. One thing you will notice is it is quite loud, since it is sitting right under you and it needs high rpm to make good power. You will notice high revs and noise going up AND down hills as the tow/hall is engaged and it downshifts like crazy. But the motor functions very well. I would bet that you will have a lot more complaints about the handling and suspension rather than the V-10 engine.
    I added a bunch of sound insulation under the doghouse and everywhere under the chassis that I could get to. Huge difference. I can talk to my wife without shouting now.

We are now over one year rocking the V-10 in our coach.  So far, couldn't be happier with the engine and tranny combo.  Plenty of power, no issues.

Recently bought a 2017 Thor Miramar and trying to figure out best way to drive it Up and Down hills. Gas Ford Triton 6.8L V-10 362hp. I think a just 5 speed. I have read about not being too concerned with Loud, High RPMs. Going up hills not my problem. Going down hills I trying to figure out. Once I put any pressure on the brake, the transmission will downshift causing the rmps to go up. Applying more brake to slow down and keep rmps down. I question how do you make it shift back to a higher gear and release this braking. I stuck in this until bottom of hill when I push the gas peddle making engine finally go into higher gear. Any suggestions helpful.

Back
Top Bottom