House Air Conditioner Wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

My 30 amp coach has two roof A/C's. There's circuitry to monitor shore power load current and shed A/C's as needed to keep the load under 30 amps.

When on shore power each A/C is powered by its own breaker. However, when running the Genny the front A/C is powered directly by the Genny. This A/C will run regardless of breaker position in the main panel.

Therefore there must be a auto transfer switch feeding this A/C.

Where is it located? Is it on the A/C itself?

Thanks,

Tom

Sometimes the autotransfer switch is located with the breaker panel converter assembly. The generator has two sets of windings, and when it's running one set is used for one A/C, and the other set for everything else. Each winding's output has its own breaker located on the generator, so the single A/C is still protected.

I do have a auto transfer switch housed in a 5? metal cube on the back of the breaker panel box. It?s the one for transfer between shore power and genny. I didn?t see one there for the A/C transfer but I could have missed it. It?s all buried under the lavatory. It?s getting harder and harder to stand on my head...

My genny is wired a little different than you describe. A single wire feeds both the 30 and 20 amp breakers. The 20 amp breaker feeds the A/C. The 30 amp feeds the above mentioned transfer switch. As you said, both circuits are protected.

Still looking for the transfer switch...

Where it is located is kind of hard to explain (NOTE It is not built into the A/C) becuse of the game they play of "Hide the Device" at the factory. That said sometimes they forget to play that game.

Now. I sat down and put my mind to the task.. I know where my Shore INLET is
I know where my Power Distributoin panels is (Breaker box)
And I knwo where my Generator is

I visualised the SHORTEST path from Inlet to Breaker, and Generator to Breaker, and said "Where do they cross" 

Then I looked  and there was a panel there not marked.. I removed two screws, then the panel and what do you think I found?  THe Automatic Transfer switch.

Heavy copper wire is expensive. I'd follow the same plan I did and start looking "Where they cross"

Back
Top Bottom