Rooftop A/C Sleeve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

Well,  with the help you guys on here I figured out why the bedroom a/c was leaking (clogged filter), I have had water problems with the front room a/c leaking. This time the water actually was overflowing the drip pan and running down the layer of metal roof wood under metal, tubing and somehow seeped thru the carpet type material ceiling, then went over to the face frame of the upper cabinets on the wall and swelled that junk (fiber board) up like a balloon. Has any one made a metal sleeve to go down thru the a/c opening? Seems like that would eliminate the problem I had other than water running straight to the floor. I hated those cabinets anyways and the ceiling really needs a make over. I will be getting up on the roof next week to replace the gasket along with cleaning out the drip pan.

Ok by design most rooftop A/C's. both RV and Commerical drip drip drip on the roof.  If you remove the outer cover (Shroud) from the A/C you should see the drip pan.

At one point along the pan. either on one side or the other or rear (Depending on model) there will be a SPOUT. Like some larger measuring cups have This is the drip lip.

YOu can put a funnel under this (in fact they make one just for this) attach a tube and route the water anywhere you wish. NOTE

Tube tends to clog over time and needs occasional cleaning (Algae) Happened where i worked a few times 

Alt. an open channel under the lip
Take a piece of (I woudl suggest aluminum "U" channel
Lay it open side up but start by cutting back the sides a bit on one end folding up the bottom and sealing the corner edges with something like GOOP. or Flex Seal,

Sides should be low enough to slip under the drip lip
then attach to roof with somehting like GOOP, Dicore or Flex Glue
NOTE this only works on FLAT roofs if the roof is domed you may have to modify the plan a bit or run it straight back from a rear A/C.

This way it drips on the ground. but at a spot of yOUR direction.

John From Detroit said:
Ok by design most rooftop A/C's. both RV and Commerical drip drip drip on the roof.  If you remove the outer cover (Shroud) from the A/C you should see the drip pan.

At one point along the pan. either on one side or the other or rear (Depending on model) there will be a SPOUT. Like some larger measuring cups have This is the drip lip.

YOu can put a funnel under this (in fact they make one just for this) attach a tube and route the water anywhere you wish. NOTE

Tube tends to clog over time and needs occasional cleaning (Algae) Happened where i worked a few times 

Alt. an open channel under the lip
Take a piece of (I woudl suggest aluminum "U" channel
Lay it open side up but start by cutting back the sides a bit on one end folding up the bottom and sealing the corner edges with something like GOOP. or Flex Seal,

Sides should be low enough to slip under the drip lip
then attach to roof with somehting like GOOP, Dicore or Flex Glue
NOTE this only works on FLAT roofs if the roof is domed you may have to modify the plan a bit or run it straight back from a rear A/C.

This way it drips on the ground. but at a spot of yOUR direction.
John, I'll take a picture that will better show you what I have in mind, its nothing to do with the design of the a/c itself, rather the design of my old coach

If I understand correctly, you are wanting to drain the A/C condensate down into the camper?????  Sure, it could be done, but WHY???  How will you handle this rather large quantity of water you just removed from the air in the camper?  Keep it outside.

No, I do not want to drain a/c in the camper, this was a "if"  the a/c where to drip inside the coach as it has, not to go between layers of ceiling/roof and find its way across the ceiling. In the picture you will see the construction of the ceiling and roof, with a sleeve the water could never go anywhere but down and out,hopefully not that either since a new floor is going in, In the picture is the a/c drip pan, 3/4' wood, 2" tubing that frames out the hole, then the coach ceiling. My thought is to make a sleeve that would seal those layers off

Attachments

• IMG_20180604_45837.jpg
    IMG_20180604_45837.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom