Toilet question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pagraham

When my 5th wheel is parked at the house between trips, I found gnats on the floor around the toilet.
I think they are sewer gnats coming in from around the toilet flap.
Should my toilet bowl always have water in it, confirming that there is a good seal at the flap
Thanks
Paul

Yes always keep water in the toilet. It will help preserve the seals as well as keep smells down.

I have two toilets and kept water in them for the past 14 years and haven't had to replace a seal yet.

If the toilet doesn't hold water, repair the seal.  Flush that tank well and add some insecticide.

Since most RV toilets are the gravity type, i.e. the stuff just drops directly down a pipe into the tank, there is no P-trap to keep odors and insects out. Sewer flies can be a problem, and they are fairly common in campground waste water systems. If they get into your waste tanks, you carry the problem around with you (and spread it to other campgrounds).  It's a good practice to have a hump in your sewer dump hose to form a trap to keep bugs in the septic system out of the RV's tanks. This is especially helpful if you stay hooked to the sewer line with the dump valve open (gray or black).

You should have water in the bowl and for that reason most RV toilets are designed to run a bit of water after the flush valve closes. It keeps the seal moist, avoids dried crud interfering with the seal, and provides a warning about a seal leak (the water runs out).

To get rid of sewer flies, flush both gray and black tanks thoroughly. If possible, fill both tanks and add a dose of septic tank treatment, e.g. Roebic K37, RidX, etc.  and let it work for 3-4 days before dumping.  That will reduce the slime where the flies hatch their eggs.  Once the tanks are as clean as practical, spray insecticide inside the waste tanks/line as best you can and maybe add a liquid pesticide as well.  The flies themselves are short-lived, but multiple generations of eggs are buried in the slime in the tanks and keep hatching out, so you need to kill & re-kill every few days over a 2-3 week period.

Thanks Guys, I'll start studying on how to replace that seal first.
Thank you
Paul

If sewer flies got in your tank you may have left the black tank gate valve open while hooked up to a sewer.  Not the best practice in an RV.  LIquid goes right down the drain and solids don't.  This leads to the dreaded 'PYRAMID OF POO'.  (Oh the horrors!)  Once you get the pyramid it can be a PITA to get rid of it.  (From experience)

The most prevalent thinking is to never open the gate valve unless the black tank is at least 3/4 full.  This creates the right flushing action to get most of the solids out of there.  If the tank is not full enough add water until it is.  this rule applies even if you have a tank sprayer.

I use silicone pool lube to keep my seals healthy.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
It's a good practice to have a hump in your sewer dump hose to form a trap to keep bugs in the septic system out of the RV's tanks. This is especially helpful if you stay hooked to the sewer line with the dump valve open (gray or black).

Gary mentioned a situation with the black tank remaining open. I'm sure it was just a brain cramp.  Do not leave your black tank valve open all the time. For all you newbies, if you do, you'll end up with the dreaded poo pyramid. All the liquids will drain out of the tank and ALL the solids will stay behind to create a monster.

Back
Top Bottom