My electricity bill!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You may want to try to put some insulation in the windows to help keep the heat out. 

BoomerD said:
Seems to me that, if your power cord plug has melted, you have a bigger problem than the electricity bill...

Yes, Yes and Yes!  Get that fixed by a qualified electrician ASAP!!  No one wants to see any fire much less an avoidable one. 

Trust me the money you spend on a safe electric system is WAY WAY cheaper than the alternative!!

You need to have the 30 Amp outlet replaced by the CG also. I have lost several 30 A plugs over the years. I have had no trouble with the 50 A.

First: You need to replace the plug on the end of the cord ASAP.  Second: Someone needs to check the power post connector to be sure the pins in the connector are in good shape and are not burned.  Many times the pins have lost their spring tension, or are corroded and make poor contact with your shore power cord.  That creates heat, which will melt your new plug. 

No mention has been made of the battery charger/batteries, as a load.  Check the condition of your batteries.  How often is the charger kicking in?  Do you have a lot of 12v loads running or a problem with that system in addition to the other loads mentioned above? 
1. Fix the plug. Check the entire length of the cord for damage and check where it connects to the RV. (Friend had his reel go bad)
2. Shift frig and water heater to propane.
3. Turn off 12v fans and as many lights as possible (change lights to LED)
4. Have campground check/replace 30 amp receptacle in the post. (worked at campgrounds and replaced many, wires to receptacle too)
5. Check batteries and charger for condition. 

The only thing you want running during the day is the AC.  The battery charger will still cycle when needed and most can't be stopped. This leads us back to the converter change out.  Converters are also battery chargers and the last thing changed in the system, which always make me suspect.  In other words all was fine until?

RayniDaze said:
We currently rent a lot at an RV park where the rate for electricity is .15 per kwh. Normally our bill is between 50 and 60 and I expected it to go up a little with us living in Texas and it becoming summertime. But our bill has gone up to 130. We checked the meter on June 1 and it was at 1890 and now today 2.5 days later it's at 2235. Which puts us at a 52 dollar bill 3 days in. If it keeps going at this rate our bill will be over 500 dollars!!!!!

Actually, I think that puts you at a $5.20 bill three days in, not $52.

Using the meter readings to find out kwh consumed:  2235 - 1890 = 345, and I assume there's a 1/10 decimal in there, so it's 34.5 kwh over 2-1/2 days.  That's about 14 kwh/day with air conditioning, which sounds about right

And it's in line with your $130 bill for the previous month, which represents 400 kwh for a month (400 x .15 = $60), or about 13.3 kwh/day.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I've never seen an electric meter that would read a tenth of a KW. So I think the OP is correct in their figures.
I sure have.

Attachments

• used-electric-meter-box-500x500.jpeg
    used-electric-meter-box-500x500.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 24
Alaskansnowbirds said:
I've never seen an electric meter that would read a tenth of a KW. So I think the OP is correct in their figures.
The arithmetic simply does not add up.  345 kwh over 2-1/2 days is 138 kwh/day.  As Gary pointed out, the most electricity that could flow through that 30-amp receptacle, pulling 30 amps constantly over 24 hours, is 86 kwh.  But the OP is reporting vastly more than that, and says the air conditioner, never mind everything else, doesn't run constantly.  Something is off.

One way to explain it is to assume the OP missed a decimal, and if you do that, the numbers actually work out very nicely.  I can't think of any other way to make the OP's measurements work, and neither has anyone else.  It's not a matter of putting in LED bulbs or insulating the windows--the OP is using 50% more electricity than the pedestal can even deliver.  Being off by an order of magnitude in the measurements can go a long way in explaining crazy results.

OP hasn?t been active since the 4th. If she comes back after the first maybe we?ll find out what the next bill is which should straighten everything out. She was concerned about a $130 AC bill in TX, mine here in AZ just passed $160 and, as the locals say, ?it ain?t even hot yet? (?only? 106 today, the teens are coming  :-\ )

And here in 'hot' central Florida I run my A/C in my fiver 24/7 and my electricity bill is about $60 a month. And I watch I big screen TV all day and run my refer on AC.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Yeah, Tom, but your rig is in really nice shade and that helps tremendously.
But my last class A was not in the shade, it was and still is in full sunshine (my nephew owns it a block from here) and his bill is less than mine.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Yeah, Tom, but your rig is in really nice shade and that helps tremendously.

Yup. Try sitting in full sun with 106. I know you run your fan 24/7, but here the compressor is running non-stop by 9am and doesn't start cycling until 6-7pm. I've been making it on the front air only but have had to start running the rear air as it approaches 110. I have a remote thermometer in the basement for winter use to keep an eye on freezing temps (certainly not an issue now!) and it's hitting mid-high 90s. My poor freezer is struggling. I'm a very early riser and as soon as I get up I open up the basement to let the heat out.

I did switch my fridge to elec. In this heat on gas the burner runs 24/7 and, contrary to comments about the flame being the size of a pilot light, it's actually the size of a small torch on medium and quite goes through the propane.

It has been so hot in Las Vegas that I've had both A/C units running from sun up to sun down parked at my house. My power bill for the A/C to run has gone up about $175.00 this month. I am looking forward to getting out of Vegas for the rest of the summer beginning July 5.

Sun2Retire said:
I know you run your fan 24/7, but here the compressor is running non-stop by 9am and doesn't start cycling until 6-7pm.

Wait.  When talking about running the air conditioner, a person might mean the fan is running 24/7 but not necessarily the compressors?  That makes an enormous difference. 

Sun2Retire said:
I did switch my fridge to elec. In this heat on gas the burner runs 24/7 and, contrary to comments about the flame being the size of a pilot light, it's actually the size of a small torch on medium and quite goes through the propane.

Not sure what kind of refrigerator you have, but I have a four-door Norcold 1200, and in warm weather (but not the challenging conditions you face), it uses about 1/2 gallon of propane/day.  The original cooling unit used 7 kwh of electricity a day, and the Amish replacement is more like 5.5 kwh/day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom