Engine Stuttering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've searched all over with no luck so please forgive me if this is a repeat post.

We have a 2014 Itasca Ellipse and are experiencing power loss and engine stutter while trying to cross the Rockies. Flat land runs alot better than when trying to climb the hills. I've replaced the Fuel Filter located under and to the side of the engine hoping it's the only one. For whatever reason - the air filter seems to be a little difficult to get to to replace myself but I'm curious. Could a clogged air filter cause our rig to lose power and if so - how in the world do I change the filter without having to have it professionally done/overcharged??

Thank you in advance,
Patrick and Sheryl

In my experience, your symptoms indicate a fuel flow problem.

First, be SURE there is only one filter as most RVs have two, one before the lift pump and one after. One (probably the second) will have a fuel water separator on the bottom of the metal filter.  I called both Winnebago and my chassis mfg'er (Spartan) to confirm I indeed had only one filter. An identical rig built a few months later had two ... go figure. If they confirm you have two, changing the 2nd filter will likely cure the problem.

IF you do indeed have only one filter, AND changing that filter did not help, you likely have diesel crud/algae/ plugging up the system. I had to have my tank dropped & cleaned and the fuel lines & lift pump replaced last year due to fuel crud. However, I would not expect your 4 year old rig to have that problem unless it has set for long periods of time and/or you picked up some bad fuel.

I also have a fuel water seperator and drained it until it looked to be just fuel coming out. When I pulled the fuel filter off - it was clean - no crud/algea or anything else. Had a older model years ago with that problem so I knew what to look for.

I'd like to replace the air filter but it looks too difficult to reach! Is there someplace online I can look to see if there's a second fuel filter??

Thank you very much for your time!

Patrick

PatrickandSheryl said:
I'd like to replace the air filter but it looks too difficult to reach! Is there someplace online I can look to see if there's a second fuel filter??
I have replaced my air filter ... I presume you are talking about the big metal cannister type. My rig has a side radiator so easier to access than on a read radiator coach. Even then I had to open an access door in the closet to get the job done. With a rear radiator it may have to be done from above ...

On the fuel filter(s) you need to talk to Winnebago Owner Relations at email [email protected] or telephone (800) 537-1885. You will need to provide your coach s/n and they should be able to tell you how many were installed. My understanding is that most chassis mfg'ers build the chassis with one fuel filter. When the coach builder builds the house on the chassis, they normally add a second filter. If the one you have found is relatively easy to find/see, chances are there is another one hiding that may be visible only from an access panel in the bedroom. My original one filter was high on the passenger side of the block on my ISC. It was not visible from the engine access door, and took two people to get it changed, one from below and one from above. During a service appointment, I had Cummins install a filter relocation kit to move it to an accessible point.

Please tell me you haven't been ignoring annual maintenance on your chassis....

Axle fluids need to be replaced, new air dryer, oil/filter change, fuel filter replaced, serpentine belt inspected, the rear radiator should be cleaned, generator serviced, ride height checked, air bags inspected for cracks, etc., etc.

It's a pay now or suffer later situation.

Ok - so changing the oil and fuel filters and air filter didn't help my problem. It's almost as if the transmission doesn't want to go into over-drive climbing the hills and just loses power.

Any other ideas??

Thanks in advance,
Patrick and Sheryl

I had a similar problem with my 2004 Meridian with the CAT 330 HP engine. Engine stuttered on acceleration at around 1400 RPM, transmission shifted hard sometimes, hesitated other times. After long troubleshooting with a CAT computer, found 2 injectors not firing. Ended up changing all six injectors. On mine, the fuel related problem (injectors) did also cause transmission shifting problems.

If asked, I would advise a visit to a CAT shop to have a computer analyze the injectors. Be prepared for $$$$.

I've had the same issue on a CAT in an older RV we had so I'm fully aware!! LOL

I'm hoping that this unit since it has a Cummins - it wont be as much of an issue but I'm ready for whatever it is - I like traveling!

Thank you,
Patrick and Sheryl

You mentioned climbing the Rockies - are you close to Denver?  We have a huge Freightliner shop (Transwest) who also is(was) the Itasca Dealer, and a huge Cummins shop.  I'm wondering if you might be in limp mode??  Usually there is a engine light on the dash if you are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom