Roku use with router?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcrave88

Seasonal site, able to use a Roku outside, connecting to campground wifi. Am not able to fully connect inside. Someone mentioned that a WISP router would work... any suggestions on which one? Or if it would work?

I am using one with an AT&T Mobley, though unfortunately sign up for the the unlimited Mobley  ended late last year.

WISP is just a mode of the router and many of today's routers can do that.  Basically it just means you one wireless router acts as a repeater for another.

Please tell us more about how you are trying to connect inside?  Do you have a repeater inside the RV now?  Or is the Roku trying to connect direct to the campground wifi? If so, your problem may simply be a weak signal inside the RV, a common problem in campgrounds. The shell of the RV does a good job in inhibiting the signal, which is often weak to begin with.  If that's it, then yes some kind of wireless repeater will probably help.

Does the Roku stream ok when outside?  Few campground internet systems have enough bandwidth the stream effectively, at least not all the time.  If somebody else starts making heavy use of the internet, your Roku may slow to the point where it is unusable (pixelation or drop-out). And if yours is working, probably some other camper is having problems...

A tad ignorant to all of this so please forgive me...
Inside, I connected the roku to my tv, and attemped the sign on. I'm not using anything else, with the exception of my phone. It signs into the campground wifi, like it would at a hotel.
I do not have a repeater, is that would I am looking for, "repeater"?

Outside it did a decent job. We don't watch it often so a bit of lag is ok. And I did try all of this on Memorial day weekend, which I'm hoping may have been part of the problem.

Yes, a wireless repeater connects to the wifi system around you and re-broadcasts it inside the RV or house.  Also known as a wifi booster or wifi extender.  Both your phone and the Roku would connect to it, rather than direct to the campground system.  Here is some further info on them:

https://www.usautoauthority.com/best-wifi-boosters-for-rv/

I'm still not clear on what the problem was inside. Did it fail to connect, or connect but not deliver a usable signal.

Often the problem at RV parks is not lack of signal, but lack of bandwidth.  Meaning you may have a strong signal, but their outbound internet connection is too slow to support multiple people trying to stream media over that connection at the same time.

A wifi booster or extender will not help if the bottle neck is the RV park's internet connection to the outside world.  Though it may help if the limitation is the connection to the local wifi network, or possibly a combination of both.

Isaac-1 is right on, but tcrave88 says it worked OK when the Roku was physically outside the RV.  Of course, that was probably at a different time of day, and maybe even a different site than when he tried it inside.

Many RV parks discourage streaming over their wifi. Some even have technology to limit speed or bandwidth. I don't like relying on park wifi and use my own hotspot.

Back
Top Bottom