Can I SAFELY upgrade to a 3000 Watt inverter from a 2000 Watt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

So the Xantrex price for the Xantrex 815-3012 Freedom SW Series 3000 Watt Inverter/Charger is basically the same as the 2000 watt version.

Assuming the RV is still wired to factory Specs is there any reason I can't use the bigger inverter with the possibility of putting in a residential fridge down the road?  Of course I would need a bigger battery bank.

Again, I am concerned about the safety aspect - I plan on disconnecting the old Dimensions inverter and installing this one - no other mods.

I presume you?d want to check the wire size from the batteries to the inverter to see if it could handle the added 80 amps

Not a safety consideration, but how does the no-load power consumption compare between the 2000 and 3000?

If you ever actually draw 3000W instead of the former 2000W max, the cables to the battery need to be larger to meet the increased 12v amp draw (up to 275 amps). The 120vac input to the inverter should be the same (usually 30A, 10 gauge wiring) and the 120vac output circuits are still 15A each, so no change there.

I doubt if you need to increase the wattage to handle a residential fridge, though. The power draw is typically 600W at the worst case and averages only about 150W.

Heli_av8tor said:
Not a safety consideration, but how does the no-load power consumption compare between the 2000 and 3000?

The same.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
If you ever actually draw 3000W instead of the former 2000W max, the cables to the battery need to be larger to meet the increased 12v amp draw (up to 275 amps). The 120vac input to the inverter should be the same (usually 30A, 10 gauge wiring) and the 120vac output circuits are still 15A each, so no change there.

I doubt if you need to increase the wattage to handle a residential fridge, though. The power draw is typically 600W at the worst case and averages only about 150W.

Ok so I pulled the old dimensions out and it made weighs 40% or less than the new unit.  As I was disconnecting the unit and stripping it down I noticed a weak wire nut connection and couldn't help but think it could have been my problem BUT once you come so far there is no looking back ;D.  So I am still investigating hooking up some thicker wire from the unit to the batts.  The book says even had I gone with the 2000 watt unit it calls for a bigger wire than the 0/1 wire that is installed now.  So either way it looks like the specs tell me to upgrade.  I don't understand DC well and appreciate Gary's comments.  I don't plan to use the RV any differently now than before.....

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom