The downside of a private sale?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Ok, I guess it's hardly a real downside in the sense that one doesn't have to endure everything I dislike so about shopping at a dealer, but as we're getting closer to closing on a "gently used" Class A my biggest concerns have to do with maintenance. For example, one of the RVs we're looking at has been back to the factory to address all outstanding issues discovered since purchase but the two year warranty is not transferable to a new owner for any issues found going forward. As a result we would not have that level of comfort (if "comfort" is the appropriate word) one gets with the original warranty.

Also even though there is a dealer fairly near us that sells these models new it's been made clear to us that were we to need any kind of service that we'd go the bottom of the waiting list (if they would take it at all) given it was not purchased there.

So my questions would be, are there 3rd party warranty companies out there that might be worth looking at? Also what might be the advantages/disadvantages of working with an independent RV repair shop should the need arise?

Yes there are 3rd party warranty companies.
Mostly dealers are salesmen first, service 2nd no matter what they tell you. Thus the reason you go to the bottom of list if you don't purchase from them.
I think your question should be more along the lines of who has a recommendation for RV service in your area, not if the selling dealer will treat you right service wise.
RV's are machines, they break, they need maintenance, they will have a cost of ownership.
My best warranty is me. I don't require myself to stand in line, be lied too, or be told that's not covered.
Books, learning, asking for help, and willingness to try have served me well.

Aftermarket "warranties" aren't anything like factory warranties, not covering many types of common problems, e.g. roof or seam leaks, cabinetry, or furnishings and bodywork. Plus you still have the problem of where to get the repair work done in a timely and quality manner. Having repair insurance doesn't move you up in any shop's work queue.

You need to locate shops that are in the service business, and they do exist. Most large dealers with big repair facilities take all business as it comes, e.g. Lazydays RV, Alpin Haus, PPL, Camping World, etc.  There are some in most area of the country, so hunt around. Wait times are still long, though. Independent shops (PPL is an example) aren't common, but a good choice if you find one.  There are also mobile RV repair techs in most areas and they come to you and fix stuff onsite.  They can do a wide range of repair and replacement tasks and typically charge less than dealers as well.

I'll grant that the RV service industry is still in the Dark Ages and a pain to deal with in many cases, but it's something you have to deal with even with a brand new rig. If not during warranty, shortly thereafter (12 months in most cases).  I would not let the service problem deter me from a private sale if the RV was The One For Me.

Arch Hoagland said:
Where are you located?

Year make and model would help.....is it gas or diesel?

We're in Upstate NY and looking at Jayco Precept gas models from 2016 to 2017.

Thanks much for the input Gary. I think your comment to not let any service issues going forward to deter us from a good deal from a private seller seems like very good advice. I plan on searching for RV repair options in our general area and check them out.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Aftermarket "warranties" aren't anything like factory warranties, not covering many types of common problems, e.g. roof or seam leaks, cabinetry, or furnishings and bodywork. Plus you still have the problem of where to get the repair work done in a timely and quality manner. Having repair insurance doesn't move you up in any shop's work queue.

You need to locate shops that are in the service business, and they do exist. Most large dealers with big repair facilities take all business as it comes, e.g. Lazydays RV, Alpin Haus, PPL, Camping World, etc.  There are some in most area of the country, so hunt around. Wait times are still long, though. Independent shops (PPL is an example) aren't common, but a good choice if you find one.  There are also mobile RV repair techs in most areas and they come to you and fix stuff onsite.  They can do a wide range of repair and replacement tasks and typically charge less than dealers as well.

I'll grant that the RV service industry is still in the Dark Ages and a pain to deal with in many cases, but it's something you have to deal with even with a brand new rig. If not during warranty, shortly thereafter (12 months in most cases).  I would not let the service problem deter me from a private sale if the RV was The One For Me.

Although I was able to do a number of basic repairs, it didn't take me long to find a small medium & heavy truck repair shop in a nearby industrial park.  Their door rate is about half of a dealer, their reputation is paramount as the reley of word of mouth for business, and over the years it became more obvious that they were honest and did quality work.  However, virtually all of the work they did was mechanical and what little that wasn't I was able to fix.  To be honest, placing you at the bottom of the service list should be an incentive to buy private as it is an indication that you are dealing with unscrupulous people.

Ed

Simply put, the 2 best days in the life of my motorhome have been the day I bought it, and the day the warranty ran out.

Dealers traditionally offer more lip service than real service, so don't let them intimidate you.  Buy the RV you want, regardless of where it comes from.

I've been on the other side - bought a 3 year old unit from the Dealer and was told "top priority" - "red carpet service", especially if I bought their warranty.  In actual practice - all BS.  Our first return appointment that we made a month earlier to fix something they broke - we got grief.  Service Manager said we have no room for you, somebody messed up.  We are 8 weeks out just to park here, and 16 weeks out for somebody to look at it.  Not even the Manager could talk down this guy, he was like a junk yard dog.  We cancelled the warranty, grabbed the part they broke, and never returned. (Camping World)

Saw a Freightliner sign down the road (Transwest) and it turns out they are a huge outfit in the 4 state region and not only are they the Freightliner service center, they also sell RVs and they were the original Itasca Dealer where ours was purchased before us.  We have had pristine service from them, the shops are clean, new and high tech, and not once have they ever asked if we bought it there.

Not all dealers are jerks. We are fortunate to have a reputable dealer near us that will put us right into the service schedule even though we didn't purchase our motorhome there.

In return, I purchase materials there instead of Amazon, and make sure to strike up a conversation with the owner whenever I'm in the building. He loves to talk about his grandkids, and I always make sure to ask about them. It's all about relationships.

The money you will save off a private seller, will certainly offset any, any perk buying off a Dealer has, hands down. IMO.  And Warranty, chances are if / when it breaks down, you will be on the road and subject to those repair options in the area you broke down.  It's not likely to break sitting in your driveway.

Koodog said:
My best warranty is me. I don't require myself to stand in line, be lied too, or be told that's not covered.
Books, learning, asking for help, and willingness to try have served me well.

That is a great philosophy, Koodog.

Just a note I sent the OP an email detailing my 2 favorite repair places in Syracuse
1) Mays Truck service for motor and chassis work
Mays has never repaired my motor home in less than great fashion.. I have had a lot of work done there.

2) Northside Collision in Cicero for coach work.
They have done 2 repairs for me first was some delamination repair and then they replaced my roof A/C foor me
All job done excellent

Back
Top Bottom