Questions for full time RVers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SargeW said:
zulu said:
In fact, of the "Big Three" full timer domicile states -- SD, TX, and FL -- only FL currently offers a nationwide plan -- and it's an EPO plan, not a PPO.
Not necessarily. I am on a Blue Cross PPO that covers me in my home state of SD.  I have been on it a year now.

SargeW said:
The insurance is obtained through our past employers contract with Blue Cross. The employer is in Ca. They may offer the coverage due to the size of the insured group. I just know that I used to have the HMO until we left CA, and I had to switch to the PPO.

I sounds like you're unfamiliar with the individual health insurance market.  People who are asking about health insurance for fulltimers will be buying individual policies offered in their domicile state, so references to any other type of policy aren't pertinent, and as in this case, can be misleading.

I know a fulltimer who has a Blue Cross PPO plan in Texas.  But wait--Blue Cross doesn't offer PPO policies in Texas any more.  Well, his policy was in place before the ACA and it has somehow survived and is currently in effect. 

So if a prospective fulltimer asks, "Does anyone have a Blue Cross PPO policy in Texas?" the correct answer is "yes."  But it doesn't accurately answer the question the prospective fulltimer is actually asking, which is, "Can I get a Blue Cross PPO policy in Texas?"  The answer to that is "no."

Actually it does apply. We have full timers from all walks of life, so something that applies to one situation may not apply to another.  This whole web forum is based on providing answers to questions from all different perspectives. You sift through and find what applies to each person or problem and disregard the rest.

We are so lucky that we had a retiree insurance plan available from our previous employer too. When we retired we did compare the retiree plan (national BC/BS) with plans available on the individual exchange, and it was eye opening! National coverage was only available with huge monthly costs and huge deductibles (we were living in Utah then). I have heard the national plans aren?t available anymore, but I have no direct knowledge. It is definitely a huge issue for those who retiree before Medicare age, and I still have a year and a half to go (retired at 60). I doubt I would have done it without the medical insurance availability.

SargeW said:
Actually it does apply. We have full timers from all walks of life, so something that applies to one situation may not apply to another.  This whole web forum is based on providing answers to questions from all different perspectives. You sift through and find what applies to each person or problem and disregard the rest.

The sifting is a lot less onerous if the information provided is complete.  It took four direct follow-up inquires from people to find out that the plan you got them excited about is connected to wherever you worked (still not clear if it's due to retirement or COBRA), and not available to anyone else.

I assumed that you just didn't realize what the individual health insurance market is like and inadvertently derailed a conversation.  But your response makes me wonder. 

I will say that the individual health insurance market is a morass, and the only way it's becoming clearer is by having fewer options for fulltimers to have health insurance, which is not a good thing.  Throwing things out there that don't and won't apply to the people looking for health insurance doesn't help, especially if that little "gotcha" won't be revealed unless people ask further questions.

I do know that if someone asks if anyone has a BC/BS nationwide PPO policiy in Texas, I'm not going to say "Yes," even though I know someone who does.  Because the one I know about isn't available to the person(s) asking. 

SargeW
I found your answers misleading at best,  for example the comment was made "In fact, of the "Big Three" full timer domicile states -- SD, TX, and FL -- only FL currently offers a nationwide plan -- and it's an EPO plan, not a PPO."

YOU ANSWERED  "Not necessarily. I am on a Blue Cross PPO that covers me in my home state of SD.  I have been on it a year now."
But it is not a South Dakota policy which your answer IMPLIES it is.

Then the comment was made " It's not an ACA plan, right?"
Your answer "Nope, just a regular PPO plan."
But is not a regular PPO plan it is an employer sponsored plan unavailable to the public even in California

Please try to be more precise in your answers.

Misleading, no. If you read my post for what it says instead of what you THINK is says, it's pretty clear. I said I have a plan through my previous employer that covers me in now that I live in SD. And it's a PPO. Can other employers do this? Sure, if they wanted.  Do they? I don't know.  And yes, I misspoke, Anthem is the Ca group that handles Blue Cross.

And Blue Cross/Blue Shield is the portion that handles their insurance in all 50 states, and Puerto Rico, and Blue Cross/Blue Sheld Global handles their insurance around the world.

And to spare you the effort, here is the link. https://www.bcbs.com/individuals-families#help-with-finding-insurance

I hope this satisfies your question.

SargeW said:
Misleading, no. If you read my post for what it says instead of what you THINK is says, it's pretty clear. I said I have a plan through my previous employer that covers me in now that I live in SD. And it's a PPO. Can other employers do this? Sure, if they wanted.  Do they? I don't know.  And yes, I misspoke, Anthem is the Ca group that handles Blue Cross.

And Blue Cross/Blue Shield is the portion that handles their insurance in all 50 states, and Puerto Rico, and Blue Cross/Blue Sheld Global handles their insurance around the world.

And to spare you the effort, here is the link. https://www.bcbs.com/individuals-families#help-with-finding-insurance

I hope this satisfies your question.
Well, I didn't ask the question, but it still is not clear to me if nation wide insurance is available from BCBS in SD for the general public. That is the question as I understand it.
For example, if a John Doe who retired or was laid off with no continuing medical insurance, bought a RV, declared his Domicle in SD and will travel full time, spending next almost no time in SD.
Sarge, I went to the website you provided, but the answer to the question was not quickly available.  I did click through the options for insurance selecting "coverage away from home" and they did provide the following:
Always carry your Wellmark ID card, and don?t forget to pack it when you take a trip. Thanks to our Wellmark mobile app, it's easy to have your ID card with you wherever you go. Wellmark health plans travel well, particularly in our PPO networks. In the United States, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan members enjoy savings that the local Blue Plan negotiates with local doctors and hospitals. Our PPO network allows you to have access to providers nationwide, which includes more than 96 percent of hospitals and 93 percent of doctors. And finding those providers is easy. For members in our HMO network, emergency care is always available.
What is not clear to me is the situation where John Doe's "trip" is 365 days a year, never setting foot in SD that year. Will BCBS sell a policy with that kind of coverage for the same price as a policy for someone staying year around and taking a 2 week vacation once a year.

Whether or not an individual has continuing insurance from a former employer, or a grandfathered policy in SD has little bearing on the subject for most fulltimers under 65.

I'm not sure we will be able to have a definitive answer quickly. 

SargeW said:
Misleading, no. If you read my post for what it says instead of what you THINK is says, it's pretty clear. I said I have a plan through my previous employer that covers me in now that I live in SD.

For the record, you didn't state that your plan was through your previous employer until your fourth response to requests for details about your plan.  Until then, all you'd said was that you have a South Dakota address and you have a Blue Cross PPO plan that provides nationwide coverage.  If nobody had pressed you for more information, that would have been the last word, and it's misleading because it leaves out the important detail that it's not available to the people who are asking for information.

AStravelers said:
I'm not sure we will be able to have a definitive answer quickly. 

Actually, we've had a definitive answer for a few years now:  There are no health insurance plans in South Dakota that provide a nationwide PPO network. 

You can click on "South Dakota" on the Blue Cross website that SargeW gave the link for, and there's no mention of individual health insurance plans, if that will make you feel better.  But trust me--if South Dakota had an acceptable health insurance option for fulltimers, you'd hear about it.  In fact, that's why SargeW's claim was challenged--because everybody knows South Dakota doesn't have PPOs with nationwide networks.

You don't even need to think about coverage for people who are traveling, regardless of how many days it is, because if you're buying health insurance based on your South Dakota address, Blue Cross (or Wellmark) isn't an option in the first place.

SargeW said:
Call these folks. Maybe they can help you. https://www.doughertyassoc.net/Health-Insurance.html

Do you have personal experience with this agency? 

And more importantly, do you have personal experience with this agency that leads you to recommend them specifically to South Dakota fulltimers who need a PPO health insurance policy that has access to a nationwide network of providers?

I had used the agency when I went full time some years ago when all I could afford was major medical. At the time it was acceptable for what I could afford.  But don't get me wrong. It's not a recommendation,  it's a link. It's called Google, and if you were less intent on dogging me, and more intent on adding meaningful dialogue to the this conversation, you would discover that. This line of questioning is over.

Back to the OP's original question . . .

HRDWRK said:
My wife and I have been playing with the idea of full time RVing but there are many things that we need to figure out first.Some of our questions are related to oridanry things: What do you do with health insurance coverage? We are in our 50s.

OP, one thing that confuses the heck out of any healthcare (or other topic for that matter) is when you compare Apples to Oranges.

When people give you advice about healthcare, ask them how they know what they're telling you.

For example, when I was researching the ACA (ie, Obamacare), I'd get a lot of advice from people on Medicare who mistakenly thought ACA plans were just like Medicare. Or, people with military healthcare or company/government health plans would say how cheap health insurance was. Sure, cheap for them because their former company or government agency was picking up most or all of their plan's cost (like SargeW).

Still another group are the "immortals" -- young people, not in their 50's & 60's. In under 65 healthcare discussions, people would often use full timer Becky of Interstellar Orchard fame (https://interstellarorchard.com/2018/05/30/health-insurance-for-full-time-rvers-2018-edition/) as an example of someone getting by very very cheaply on health insurance. Right. Becky is in her early 30s. Her SD ACA plan is incredibly inexpensive -- because she's incredibly young.

Finally, there are also those folks who dislike (or hate) the ACA for one reason or another. I find that these people usually tell you their feelings right up front. But not always.

About yours truly . . . in 2013 my wife & I hit the road full timing at 62 and 63, respectively. We used my employer's COBRA plan (BCBS PPO family plan @ $1100/mon for both of us) for the maximum 18 months. After that, I had to purchase coverage for just 1 month before I went on Medicare. On the other hand, my wife enrolled in an AZ ACA PPO plan as she was still under 65. By the way, her PPO only "worked" in AZ as there was no national network. (SD Avera PPO plans are just the same.)

In 2016, my wife underwent treatment for ovarian cancer (she's fine now) which set us back about $7500 (the max out-of-pocket limit for ACA back then). For those of you who complain about the ACA's high deductibles, here's where it pays off -- a major medical procedure whose actual cost was well over $100K. Also, between my wife's cancer diagnosis and cancer treatment, we were able to enroll in a even better ACA plan. That would have been impossible pre-ACA because her cancer would have been treated as a pre-existing condition, and she probably would have been flat out denied coverage.

Also, we work camped in CA in 2016. Because my wife had an AZ PPO plan that only had a network in AZ, we had to schlep back to AZ several times (800 miles round trip) for her chemotherapy treatments. This is why you want a health plan with a nationwide network. Oh, you're going to rely on emergency room treatment? It'll probably cost you $500 (typical deductible) just to use the ER. Been there. Done that.

Finally, because I saw so much misinformation about under 65 healthcare, I researched ACA plans in every state (over 3000 counties) in 2016 and followed up in 2017 (https://rvseniormoments.com/2016/03/10/selecting-a-domicile-its-all-about-counties-part-2/).
My conclusions? Health plan prices are up (everyone knows that), the numbers of health plans and providers has decreased, and plans with nationwide networks have pretty much disappeared. However, I did discover that ACA plans are based on residency (where you actually live) as opposed to domicile (https://rvseniormoments.com/2016/11/15/state-residency-and-aca-obamacare-health-plans/). This is key. You can move to a place with good heath care plans.

OP, I suggest checking out other RV forums as well:

Escapees -- http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?

IRV2 -- http://www.irv2.com/forums/f92/

zulu said:
Still another group are the "immortals" -- young people, not in their 50's & 60's. In under 65 healthcare discussions, people would often use full timer Becky of Interstellar Orchard fame (https://interstellarorchard.com/2018/05/30/health-insurance-for-full-time-rvers-2018-edition/) as an example of someone getting by very very cheaply on health insurance. Right. Becky is in her early 30s. Her SD ACA plan is incredibly inexpensive -- because she's incredibly young.

Actually, I'm pretty sure her plan is inexpensive because she gets a big subsidy because she makes only about $15,000/year.  From her site: "I've made less than $30,000 a year my whole adult life, and since hitting the road I've thrived on about $16,000 a year."

In the page you linked to, she says, "My plan is through Avera Health Plans, called Avera 5000, and this is the third year I?ve had it. The yearly cost would be in the neighborhood of $450 (it went up about 22% again over last year), but because of my lower income level, I qualify for a subsidy that makes this plan similar in cost to what my high deductible private plan use to be before the ACA went into effect in 2015."

I'm certain the "yearly" is wrong, and she actually meant "monthly," because there's no unsubsidized health plan that would cost less than $40/month.  I used healthsherpa to run numbers for a 33-year-old female in Box Elder, SD, and the premiums for Avera policies were around $380 for Bronze plans, $490-$530 for Silver plans, and $580 for a Gold plan.  So surely she meant "monthly" and not "yearly."  Kind of important if you ask me, and I'm surprised nobody noticed it (she said she closed comments on it, so people were obviously doing some commenting).

So her health insurance is incredibly inexpensive not because she's young but because she's low income.  Subsidies depend on the person's age, and a 33-year-old who makes $16,000/year in Box Elder gets a subsidy of $398, while a 60-year-old gets a subsidy of $936.  The result is that they both pay $0 for either of the two Bronze plans Avera offers on the Exchange.

I'll note that her Avera 5000 plan isn't listed in the results, and according to Avera's website it isn't sold on the Exchange.  But the only way to have the subsidy apply is to buy it on the Exchange.  Maybe it was on the Exchange during last year's open enrollment and isn't available during the special enrollment period?  Or maybe it's still considered on the Exchange for people who already had it?  Who knows.

But more troubling is that she has a Bronze plan, and I wonder if someone in that income range who chooses a Bronze over a Silver plan actually understands the coverages.  At the very least, that person views financial risk very differently from how I do. 

And, from the numbers I ran, she could pay a similar premium in Florida AND have access to a nationwide network.  That's one thing that terrified me about having an HMO or local-only PPO with no out-of-network coverage.  Yes, emergencies are covered, but once the emergency is over and you're in Maine needing continuing care but your network is in South Dakota--you have no coverage at all unless you get back to South Dakota.  And there's no way of knowing what your insurance company considers an emergency until after it's happened. 

She did say that she goes through South Dakota "pretty regularly" on her way to and from visiting family in Wisconsin, but for someone who doesn't do that, South Dakota is a really really poor choice, especially when you can get much better coverage with a Florida address for about the same money.  For the time being, anyway.

zulu said:
Or, people with military healthcare or company/government health plans would say how cheap health insurance was. Sure, cheap for them because their former company or government agency was picking up most or all of their plan's cost (like SargeW).

Actually, SargeW never mentioned how much his plan costs.  What was shocking to me was that a Blue Cross nationwide PPO plan was available in South Dakota at any cost, never mind cheap.  And of course it turned out it wasn't.

zulu said:
Also, we work camped in CA in 2016. Because my wife had an AZ PPO plan that only had a network in AZ, we had to schlep back to AZ several times (800 miles round trip) for her chemotherapy treatments. This is why you want a health plan with a nationwide network.

If you were living in California, shouldn't you have changed her insurance to California, if the ACA is concerned only with where you're living and not where your domicile is?

Trivet said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure her plan is inexpensive because she gets a big subsidy because she makes only about $15,000/year.
Yes, subsidies DO make a big diff. However, w/o one you're going to pay significantly more as you age. For example, here are SD Avera 5500 PPO plan prices for age 34 = $385, 50 = $567, and 60 = $861.

Trivet said:
Actually, SargeW never mentioned how much his plan costs.
SargeW's blog says that he's ex-LAPD. LAPD retirement info is online and I believe he gets a subsidy to help pay for his BCBS PPO plan.

Regardless, the point is that people with employer/government health plans are in a different "boat" than those who must purchase their own health insurance.

Trivet said:
If you were living in California, shouldn't you have changed her insurance to California, if the ACA is concerned only with where you're living and not where your domicile is?
Didn't know we could/should. And actually, per the H&HS FAQ (https://www.regtap.info/uploads/library/ENR_FAQ_ResidencyPermanentMove_SEP_5CR_011916.pdf), if you spend equal time in two locations, it's your choice which one you select. Although CA would have probably have had the better health plans.

zulu said:
Yes, subsidies DO make a big diff. However, w/o one you're going to pay significantly more as you age. For example, here are SD Avera 5500 PPO plan prices for age 34 = $385, 50 = $567, and 60 = $861.

But you said, "Her SD ACA plan is incredibly inexpensive -- because she's incredibly young."  I don't think $385/month is "incredibly inexpensive."  Then again, she said her plan was $450 a YEAR, which would sound incredibly inexpensive, but that amount just doesn't make sense. 

Now, getting a plan for $0 instead of $385 is incredibly expensive, but since a 60-year-old can do the same thing, its inexpensiveness isn't based on one of them being so young.  In fact, it could be argued that the 60-year-old's plan is even more inexpensive because she's getting an $861 plan for $0 while the 33-year-old is only getting a $385 plan for $0.

zulu said:
SargeW's blog says that he's ex-LAPD. LAPD retirement info is online and I believe he gets a subsidy to help pay for his BCBS PPO plan.

No, subsidies apply only to individual health insurance purchased on a marketplace exchange. 

Unless...you're saying his former employer may be paying for part of his premium.  But calling that a "subsidy" is just going to lead to confusion, and that's the last thing we need in this discussion.

zulu said:
And actually, per the H&HS FAQ (https://www.regtap.info/uploads/library/ENR_FAQ_ResidencyPermanentMove_SEP_5CR_011916.pdf), if you spend equal time in two locations, it's your choice which one you select. Although CA would have probably have had the better health plans.

Actually, the document doesn't say the time in each location has to be equal; it says, "If an individual has two primary homes where he or she spends time for an entire season or other long period of time, then the individual may live and intend to reside in both locations."  It doesn't define "season" or "long period of time" but there's nothing to indicate either one means six months, which is what "equal" time in two locations would be.

Trivet said:
But you said, "Her SD ACA plan is incredibly inexpensive -- because she's incredibly young."
Yes, my bad. But then I went on to say that w/o a subsidy you'll pay more the older you are.

Trivet said:
. . . subsidies apply only to individual health insurance purchased on a marketplace exchange. 

Unless...you're saying his former employer may be paying for part of his premium.  But calling that a "subsidy" is just going to lead to confusion, and that's the last thing we need in this discussion.
Yes, that's what the LAFPP calls it -- a "subsidy", so I used their term instead of calling it a spawnfarkle.

Trivet said:
Actually, the document doesn't say the time in each location has to be equal; it says, "f an individual has two primary homes where he or she spends time for an entire season or other long period of time, then the individual may live and intend to reside in both locations."  It doesn't define "season" or "long period of time" but there's nothing to indicate either one means six months, which is what "equal" time in two locations would be.

Exactly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom