Power Flickers off and On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morrison539

Greetings!

I have a 2006 Cougar Keystone 290EFS, and I'm having some electrical issues.

Multiple times a day, half my power will shut down. Bathroom lights, lights on the center and passenger side of the trailer, A/C, Water Heater, Stove Light/Fan all go off. If I bump/softly kick the electric panel, it comes back on.

When I use the bathroom it has a tendency to go off. I'm thinking I need to replace the breaker switches, because when I tap on the fuses the power comes back on. It's also worth noting that I disconnected my battery a few weeks back to replace a melted power cord, and never reconnected it. It has also been raining very heavily in my area for the past few weeks.

This has been happening for about three days now. Any thoughts?

Unplug from shore power and check all the screws in you entrance panel to make sure they are tight. Sounds like it may be narrowed down to that panel.
Especially check the screws on the breaker for the 12 volt wires coming from the converter. It sounds like everything you're loosing is 12 volt so I would look hard at that area.
Why aren't you using your battery?  Typically, all the lights etc. are powered by the battery and the converter recharges it. 

By entrance panel I assume you mean the panel where all my fuses and switches are?

morrison539 said:
By entrance panel I assume you mean the panel where all my fuses and switches are?

Yes, the panel will have all the breakers for everything 110 Volt AC and will possibly have the fuses for most everything 12 Volt DC. You may have one breaker for the converter. Look especially at that one and check all the others while you're there.

Usually, RVers have a few screws loose, and SOMETIMES they are on the electrical panel! ;D  (Sorry, I couldn't pass that setup!)

Seriously, this is a common problem.  Tighten EVERY screw in the box with the power OFF!

grashley said:
Usually, RVers have a few screws loose, and SOMETIMES they are on the electrical panel! ;D  (Sorry, I couldn't pass that setup!)

Hey that's my line.. and feel free to use it :)  Yup A #2 Square bit is often the right size

Oh I Thought I already ask this but do you have any kind of Surge Guard LIke the TRC SURGE Guards or the Progressive Industries EMS sytems  HW(pt)50(30)c  (the prens' sare optional instead of what preceeds them)

These will shut off power if the voltage drops too low in the park and hold it off till it comes back up.

Back
Top Bottom