New Orleans...help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nolo318

Hello everyone, looking for a safe (family) and dog-friendly RV park or campground for a longer stay in the New Orleans area and surroundings. Six months to one year.

Thank you!

We stayed at Three Oaks and a Pine in NO,  OK park.  Basically a parking lot next to a train yard  No idea bout the long term rates.  A couple of miles from the French Quarter.  Wi-Fi OK, but not great,  No shade.  The management was easy to deal with.  Accepts Passport America. 

Thank you. I looked at that one as well. I haven't seen anything exceptionally nice there yet but this might be a start at least.

Good luck.  The wife and I are both New Orleans natives and will never return there since our last close family member died.  Last trip we found no safe place in that city so I would recommend you settle for a daily commute if you need to work/do business in the city.  The Causeway gives access to a lot of nice places on the North shore of Lake Ponchartrain.  JMHO.

Bill

Check out  http://www.pontchartrainlanding.com/pages/rv.php  I think they have long term and seemed family and dog friendly.

Jennifer

I was also born and raised in New Orleans and hope to never return. That said, if safety is a concern, I would also look to the North Shore somewhere near Mandeville/Madisonville. Easy drive to the city and they have great golf, fishing, restaurants and very friendly people over there.

These are the parks that I know have or had monthly rates:
Pellican RV Park - Located in an industrial area off the Chef Menteur Hwy. (New Orleans East)
Jude Travel Park - Industrial area off the Chef Menteur Hwy  (New Orleans East)
J's Place RV Park - Paradis, LA , about 30 miles SW of New Orleans
Mozella RV Park -  Boutte, LA ( actually between Paradis and Boutte).

I won't comment on safety as others have. You'll need to do your due diligence in checking crime statistics in the area you may consider living or working.

I haven't stayed at any of these parks but did pass by them to check them out when we thought we would have to stay in the "New Orleans" area for an extended time a couple of years ago. You will likely be surprised how expensive an RV site is in the area considering the type of site and amenities.  The city has a high transient workforce supporting shipyards, river commerce, etc., so low cost "trailer" life is in high demand.

My wife and I were born in New Orleans, grew up across the Mississippi river in Gretna, LA.  We have extended family still living in the area and have visited multiple times per year for the last 45 years. In fact, we're heading there in July. In recent years we've stayed at Bayou Segnette State Park in Westwego, LA. (No monthly rates there, but a nice safe park)
Good Luck

ro1459 said:
I was also born and raised in New Orleans and hope to never return. That said, if safety is a concern, I would also look to the North Shore somewhere near Mandeville/Madisonville. Easy drive to the city and they have great golf, fishing, restaurants and very friendly people over there.
:)) :)) :))

Bill

Thank you so much, everyone and your advice are greatly appreciated. I am aware of NOLO's issues and it is unfortunately not a free joice of mine. I am moving so my son, daughter and I can be together again. I am doing it for my children only. That said, I lived in Miami and LA and am streetsmart ;)

I will focus on the side of the causeway as you suggested, although my daughter will be part-time in NOLO, safety is worth the drive.

I will keep you posted as to what I find.

Nolo318 said:
Thank you so much, everyone and your advice are greatly appreciated. I am aware of NOLO's issues and it is unfortunately not a free joice of mine. I am moving so my son, daughter and I can be together again. I am doing it for my children only. That said, I lived in Miami and LA and am streetsmart ;)

I will focus on the side of the causeway as you suggested, although my daughter will be part-time in NOLO, safety is worth the drive.

I will keep you posted as to what I find.
:)) :))  Good decision and your street smarts will serve you well.

Back
Top Bottom