Best Route from Beaufort SC to Bar Harbor, Maine ....and suggested stops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discus277

Trip planned to Bar Harbor to join a Fantasy RV Tour of Canadian Maritimes. The obvious route is to take Interstate 95 all the way but thru Washington, DC etc not appealing to me.

I can get on Interstate 81 to avoid Washington but still have to deal with getting thru or around the NYC metro area...

Am I making a problem where there isn't one? I have not driven that way before but have taken our Class A motorhome  thru downtown Atlanta at noon with 6 lanes in each direction ....

Any suggestions and or by pass ideas would be appreciated. Also, any suggested places to stop for a day or two...we can take some time getting there

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim, stay on 81 all the way up to 84.  You will avoid major tolls and a lot of traffic.  You could take 91 North into Vermont-New Hampshire.  Check out the White Mountains and then cut across to the coast.

Most anything but I95 will add at least an hour to your route.  But, I'd take the extra hour and go around the east/north side of NYC.
The RV tour sounds very interesting.  Hope you have a great time.

81N up to 84E. Then 84E to 90E. 90E for about 10 miles through Worchester MA via 290. 290 to 495. At the end od 495 you'll be on 95N.

You can also pick up 301 in Virginia and bypass DC and Baltimore to the east, then over the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the Jersey turnpike, then I-287 over the Tappen Zee bridge. From there, I-684 to I-84.

Watch out for any route that has Parkway in its name: those roads are for passenger cars only.

We're planning a trip back to the Maritimes for next summer. It's all good, but we have fallen in love with PEI.

As to I-290 in MA, I don't use that "shortcut" any more. We just stay on the Mass Pike for a couple more exits to I-495. Also, EZ Pass is helpful in the northeast. Every state except CT had tolls.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm leaning toward taking 81 all the way to 84E then following around west of Boston  back to  95 up to Maine. i might detour west to go thru the White Mtns on the way back....thanks again, Jim

discus277 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm leaning toward taking 81 all the way to 84E then following around west of Boston  back to  95 up to Maine. i might detour west to go thru the White Mtns on the way back....thanks again, Jim

Over the years I've tried many routes and I think this is the best
ken

Back
Top Bottom