Which comes first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richele

Hello,
My husband and I are "renovating", AKA completely redoing, our camper from floor up. We have to replace the entire floor and all the walls due to water damage.  I say the floor because then we have a solid surface to walk on to do the walls.  He says the walls, his reasoning is just because.  Which should we tackle first? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Thank you Dan for that advice.  That has already been done by previous owner.  Trust me though we will probably be redoing it before anything new goes in.  I just need to know for after that part.

I would also check around all window openings for potential leak sources prior to doing work

Once you get close to finishing the remodel, spend some time creating a jig that you can easily connect to one of the openings (window, door, etc) that you can attach a hefty blower fan to. Make a list of all of the places to seal up, like plumbing drains. Once you have all of that set up, you should easily be able to use your list to seal everything and use the jig to pressurize the RV to spray with soapy water and check for leaks. If you spend a few minutes prepping for this, you can leak check all of your seams and you can even use it year after year to speed up the maintenance of checking all of the seals and gaskets.

IMO, it is well worth the extra $100-200 for materials vs the extra hours if you missed patching a leak or when one develops.

Just curious how repairs were coming along? Now that you are well into your project what would you have started on first? My situation is similar where to start. I have to replace all the roof, and complete rear bathroom including floor. Where to start? Did you have to brace up any floor or walls?

Blazon said:
Just curious how repairs were coming along? Now that you are well into your project what would you have started on first? My situation is similar where to start. I have to replace all the roof, and complete rear bathroom including floor. Where to start? Did you have to brace up any floor or walls?

it was way worse then we originally thought basically after tearing out everything that was rotten we were left with a trailer base and an aluminum frame.  We decided it was not cost effective for us to continue with the rebuild.  We salvaged all the parts we could and then scrapped the rest.  My husband will use the trailer for work.  We have since bought a new one that just needs the inside done.  Good luck on your renovation.

Blazon said:

I have one support near A/C unit because it made me feel better. I will not get on roof till I fix inside ceiling joists.

Best would be a building to tear everything apart without putting tarp over roof every time it might rain. 

I like the idea of pressurizing it and checking for leaks.  I made a smoke bomb the first time I checked for leaks.

It is best to start your own thread so people can see your question. 

Good luck,
Mary

prairiegirl said:
I have one support near A/C unit because it made me feel better. I will not get on roof till I fix inside ceiling joists.

Best would be a building to tear everything apart without putting tarp over roof every time it might rain. 

I like the idea of pressurizing it and checking for leaks.  I made a smoke bomb the first time I checked for leaks.

It is best to start your own thread so people can see your question. 

Good luck,
Mary

I just found out that you can make your own smoke tester using baby oil and a heat source. I am going to use it for some EVAP hoses on my car, so for my purpose, I am using a soldering iron on a wick made out of an old rag so its more gradual. Since it is a low pressure system, I am also using a cheap propane regulator. It should maintain pressure at 2-3psi.

For a large cavity, you may be able to put some oil in a wax burner and pressurize the cab.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom