EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Has anyone sold their home to go full time in an RV?  (Read 677 times)

neptune1

• ---
Has anyone sold their home to go full time in an RV?
« on: June 06, 2018, 12:52:00 PM »
Hello, my wife and I are considering going full time in an RV trailer. We would be selling our home as well.

We are curious to hear from anyone else who has done this and do they miss home ownership and was it hard mentally, emotionally to do it? Thanks in advance for your input.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Has anyone sold their home to go full time in an RV?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
This Fulltiming message board has numerous prior discussions on this subject. There are a few related articles in our forum Library (button in the menu above). Hopefully, you'll receive some more-current stories.

Selling up and hitting the road fulltime certainly presents some challenges. My hat is off to those folks who have done it successfully. I'd personally have a tough time parting with possessions I couldn't take along in the RV. Others have no problem with this; Definitely a state of mind (and some willpower).

One caveat - be sure you have an exit strategy. I don't mean to throw a wet blanket on someone's dream but, so many times over the years, we've seen folks sell everything and put all their equity into a shiny new RV. Then, some time down the road (5-10 years) one of the two spouses becomes seriously ill, or even pass away. Meanwhile, their equity has disappeared and they can not get back into a stick & brick home.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:57:26 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

kportra

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »
We are "planning" to do this also - in 5 years if everything goes to plan.  When I am able to retire and if we are both still healthy, and the kids have not come home to roost, we will sell it all and buy an RV.  If something gets in the way of that plan, we still plan to sell our current home and get into something that will let us age gracefully (smaller, no stairs, etc).  So either way we are planning to sell our current home.  I think that makes is easier mentally for me to contemplate.

I believe that we will travel for 1-3 years, but we have no actual plans, and then come back and buy that smaller home.  So the end game with either plan is the same.  So - yes - exit strategy.  We also have mapped out the finances and will be able to do this with some room to spare.
2017 Heartland Prowler Lynx 18LX
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Big Sky Country

donn

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:26:26 PM »
Hundreds of people do it each year.  Hundreds more bail on the idea each year.  You need to have, A, been RVing for a while so you know what your getting into. B, have a suitable RV, C, be debt free, D, have health insurance that covers you nationwide, E,  both prepared to do it, F, be willing to part with everything but minimal clothes, G, have sufficient finances to sustain your lifestyle, H, have an exit plan.  The RV life is certainally not for everyone.  Mostly women it seems are simply not willing to part with stuff they have accumulated over a life time, and storage charges can be really expensive.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
Quote from: donn
Mostly women it seems are simply not willing to part with stuff they have accumulated over a life time...

Interesting. In our case, it's the other way around. My other half has little or no attachment to material things, and readily gets rid of stuff she hasn't recently had a use for. The joke in our family is that one day she'll toss me in the dumpster  ;D

breezie

• ---
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 03:39:25 PM »
I am planning to do this, but in a slightly different way.

Sell house and put ALL equity in the bank.

Cash out 401K(s) to buy used RV around $30,000.

Planning on spending 1 year traveling (or until I don't like it anymore). Then perhaps sell RV for $20,000.

Then buy a small house with the money that stayed in the bank.

FenderP

• ---
  • Non Omnis Moriar
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »
I know you asked if anyone has done it, but I'm glad you did because we also are planning to do this in about 6 years (if the old world lasts that long).  I have researched and read all kinds of stories and means of doing it.

As far as getting rid of "stuff", I don't have a problem with it and my lovely bride isn't too bad either, just some antique family heirlooms, I think, will be tough to deal with.
I'd rather you offend me with the truth than appease me with a lie.

breezie

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »
I know this is getting off-topic fast, but I have been learning from my kids and all the Millenials that I work with, that the concept of "heirloom" is a thing of the past.
They see almost every possession (especially big things like furniture) as just something to weigh them down. Grandma's silver, furniture, vehicles, etc.

They see us as slaves to our homes.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 05:24:57 PM »
Quote from: breezie
... I have been learning from my kids and all the Millenials that I work with, that the concept of "heirloom" is a thing of the past.

Our 30 year-old grandson and his wife are just that way. They periodically go through all their stuff and junk anything that's old or been around a while. The only exception for this pro-photographer is that he has a "retro shelf" in his studio, where he has one of my Dad's cameras, one of my uncle's, and one of mine. He's steadfastly refused other "retro" stuff that I've tried to give him.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 05:27:07 PM »
Another option for some 'fulltimers' we know is to rent the stick & brick house while they travel for X years. IMHO a smart move if finances allow.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 06:29:52 PM »
Aside from financial considerations, health care must be looked at.  Certain companies, Kaiser for example, will not continue coverage for members who move outside their coverage area.  Not sure how they would find out, but certainly look into that possibility.     
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 06:34:17 PM »
Good point re Kaiser. Forum member Bob Buchanan has some experience with that. Click the Search button above and search on 'Kaiser'.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 07:39:18 PM »
We are so lucky we have a retiree medical plan from our previous employer that they still subsidize some. Since they are a large national company, the coverage is also national. Kevin qualified for Medicare this year, and they even have a good Medicare supplement plan they subsidize. Many are not so lucky. You don’t want to have a major medical situation and find you insurance will only cover you if you are back “home”.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
http://toobusyforwork.com

docj

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »
It didn't appear that any of the previous posts were from someone who actually is a "full-timer" so I thought it might be worthwhile to speak up.  My wife and I are originally from Maryland and have been full-timing for >7 years during which we've traveled >50,000 miles around the US and Canada.  We've seen a lot and have met wonderful people and, yet, there's always more to see.  We winter in south TX in the Corpus Christi area because we have no intention of spending any time in any place where the temperature goes below freezing! 8) Anyone who has questions about full-timing is welcome to ask in the forum or via PM.

Joel (AKA docj)
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Greg126

• ---
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »
It ain't easy but it can be done. We worked 5 years getting rid of 'stuff'. Been full-time for 8 years vacation traveling in between volunteer gigs that give us time to explore places in depth. Works well for us. How seamless the transition is (other than 'stuff') depends on how you're set up - we're fortunate in having military benefits so medical isn't usually an issue - although it has its regional challenges too, - shops - wood and auto for me and sewing areas for her are available when we get to them.

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 07:42:31 AM »
We sold our house in 2013, fully furnished and started full time then. We have one MAJOR regret -  We wish we had done it 10 years sooner.

Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 08:02:42 AM »
We went about fulltiming just a bit differently than most, and some think we don't really qualify as "fulltimers". When we retired, my wife and I started on a plan to remodel our small lakeside vacation cottage in upstate NY to make it year-round livable so it could serve as our "back-up plan" when we hit the road. Our two daughters and their families live in the area and use the cottage frequently for swimming, boating, etc, and the cottage has been in our family since 1947, so there was no thought of selling it. We also installed a full hookup RV pad there, and by 2010 we had sold our large home and moved into our motorhome year round. We do spend from a few weeks to a couple of months at the cottage spread throughout the year to take care of routine medical appointments and visit family, but continue to live in the motorhome when we're there. The cottage only costs a couple of thousand a year for taxes and insurance, and our daughters do most of the lawn care, etc. Like Joel, we have ~50,000 miles behind us now with no plans to hang up the keys yet.

We typically winter in southern Georgia and Florida, favoring state and federal parks for the most part. Summers, we tend to be in the Michigan, Ontario, and western/northern NY areas, with forays into New England at times. In between, we favor North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia, although we have traveled west as far west as Arizona at times. As Joel said, there's lots more to see...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »
We sold our home in January and have been full-time since and have not missed it one bit.  Getting rid of stuff to enable us to go this route has been liberating and do not any of it, after all it is just stuff and if it gets in the way of us exploring and travelling, we do not need it.  RV'ing full-time is not for everyone and if you would like to but unsure, perhaps hang on to your house, go travelling and see if you miss the house and any of your stuff.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 08:07:16 AM »
We chose NOT to sell the house and so were "long-timers" rather than fulltimers.  Our situation may have been easier since we had already downsized from a 3 bedroom house to a one bedroom bungalow. Plus, our permanent home is in Florida and thus good winter quarters anyway.  In essence, we parked the RV at our winter home 5-7 months each year and traveled the rest of the time.

Our reasons for keeping our house include:

1.  We like it, both the house and the area.
2.  I have a workshop there and would hate to give up my many tools, my woodworking hobby, and the ability to do repair projects
3.  The extra space is nice, especially when the weather is less than ideal. The house heats much more comfortably than the coach.
4.  Closets for winter clothes, space for my wife's crafts & hobbies, etc.
5.  Our daughter lives in the area so we would be visiting there anyway
Having a modest home in an inexpensive area made keeping it practical.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:09:02 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

docj

• ---
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 08:49:49 AM »
After having read the last several posts, it's worth noting that virtually everyone defines "fulltiming" differently.  There are some "purists" who insist that the only "true" definition of fulltime is someone who doesn't stay anywhere more than a week or two at a time anytime of the year, including winter.   But there are lots of others, including us, who define it to suit our own tastes.  After 6 years of owning no fixed location, two years ago we purchased an RV site in an ownership park in Rockport where we have a small casita and a storage shed as well as a site that's much larger than a commercial one.  We now spend ~6 months a year at our "property" yet we continue to consider ourselves full-timers.

People who are considering becoming full-timers should understand that they don't have to conform to anyone else's definition.  Whatever makes you happy is all that matters.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

FenderP

• ---
  • Non Omnis Moriar
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
People who are considering becoming full-timers should understand that they don't have to conform to anyone else's definition.  Whatever makes you happy is all that matters.

Very well put, doc.
I'd rather you offend me with the truth than appease me with a lie.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 11:31:58 AM »
Agree with Joel (docj). We are gone from our primary residence 6-7 months a year, but not entirely in the coach. We're neither fulltimers nor long timers, maybe betweeners. Prior to retiring 18 years ago, we downsized to a smaller, single story "future retirement home" with little or no yard. We're able to lock it up and leave for 3-5 months at a time, either in the coach or on the boat.

Several years ago we purchased a small townhome near kids and grandkids, close to Columbus, OH. There's nowhere to keep the coach at the townhouse and, after a few months one year using a local storage lot (with the attendant unloading/loading), we stopped taking the coach and drive one of the cars (or fly). We visit OH twice a year, which makes grandkids and grandma very happy.

A few years ago, we purchased an RV lot at a "resort" in Wyoming. Being close to the Idaho state line, we're within a short distance of great fishing in both states. We leave the coach on the lot while we make a 4-6 week visit to OH, and return for the remainder of the season.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:54:20 AM by Tom »

Debra17

• ---
  • Fulltimer
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »
Last May I retired. Sold my house and everything that I couldn’t carry in my small travel trailer and truck. It was no problem selling the house as I wouldn’t have stayed in it after retirement anyway. Selling my personal property items was more difficult emotionally. However, once something was gone I never thought any more about it. I closed on my house on 6/27 and picked up my Nash trailer on 6/28. This was my first RV. All the equity from house went into savings.

While this is still relatively new to me, I have loved it so far. I am glad I chose this life.
Debra & Misty, the cat
2017 Northwood Nash 17K
2015 Ford F250 Lariat
http://www.debsrvtravels.com

Trivet

• ---
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »
Hundreds of people do it each year.  Hundreds more bail on the idea each year.  You need to have, A, been RVing for a while so you know what your getting into.

I don't think that's a requirement.  We've been fulltiming for 15 years and had never owned an RV before. 

As for the OP's question, we also weren't living together at the time, so we sold not one home but two.  It wasn't hard, but the only reason we owned homes was to have a place to live, so selling those wasn't any different from selling a house to move into another.

If a person puts great stock into home ownership, then he might feel differently about not being a homeowner any more, but I assume it would be the same as if he moved into a rental apartment. 

neptune1

• ---
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 09:44:36 AM »
Hi all, thanks so much for all your input it will definitely help my wife and I in making our decision later down the road.

Jeepinbob

• ---
  • Things do not just happen, they are MADE to happen
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »
I have been fulltime for 2 1/2 years now. Sold two houses, packed all the cash in the bank.  Loving it immensely, no end in sight. As for belongings, I had a huge moving sale, only kept all my household and garage stull.  Sold all the furniture.

I have an 8 by forty shipping container with two vehicles and all my household stull and important papers and photos.  When, and if, I buy a house again, I have have it all shipped to whereever, but definitely not back to California - never going back there.

South Dakota has no income tax, cheap insurance and cheap DMV. Americas Mailbox by Rapid City is my home address in S.D.  They collect all my mail and then send it to me when I request it, and they take care of all my DMV renewals and transfers.   I only had to go there to get my S.D. Drivers lic.  Took about 20 min.  Good luck .... and go for it.
2004 Alpine FTDS 40, AKA The Silver Bullet
2004 Harley Road King Classic on Hydralift
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 (toad)

Hosted by Over The Network