"New" value of used RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
I'm currently running multiple RV insurance quotes, and one of the questions that keeps popping up is "new value".  I have no idea what this thing would have sold for new, just what I plan to pay for it used (1994 Thor Residency 35').  How can I figure out what the new cost was?

DMVs usually have this info.....I know they put it on your registration and tax you based on it in most states. Worth a call.

Scotty  what do you carry for your car insurance?  If it's State Farm  get a quote from them  It was cheaper there for me than anywhere else.

Shayne said:
Scotty  what do you carry for your car insurance?  If it's State Farm  get a quote from them  It was cheaper there for me than anywhere else.

I have Allstate, just recently switched from Country.  I have a quote request in with them, just gotta wait until Monday to hear back.

For me Allstate was 3 Xs the price of State Farm.  586(yr) to 1868(6 mo)  But I had everything with SF at that time  ( 9cars, 7 trucks, 3 trailers, 3 boats, and 2 MHs  That was 2 yrs ago.  After I sold some of the cars and the 1 Mh  my MH  went up 54 bucks

When I was checking last Fall, Progressive Direct was the lowest that I found -- less than half what Allstate wanted.  I also liked their website quoting system.  I could play around with various coverage options and see the effect on premiums.

I have Allstate as well, and the RV rider was nothing.  Now, if something happens (knock on wood), how will the service be?  Who knows.  But Allstate has been very good to me for 25 years.

Scotty  give them a figure of 85K  Back then it was probably close.

The NADA guide lists the original MSRP for the make & model. Not specific to the individual coach, but close enough.

Some manufacturers can provide a copy the original factory sticker (MSRP) is you give them the VIN or other identifying number. I got a copy of mine from American Coach.

Thanks guys.  Next question, anyone know WHY the insurance companies want that information?  To calculate depreciation maybe?  If it were a newer coach it may be for replacement value, but obviously if a used unit was totalled I know I certainly wouldn't receive a brand-new coach... I wish!

edjunior said:
I have Allstate as well, and the RV rider was nothing.  Now, if something happens (knock on wood), how will the service be?  Who knows.  But Allstate has been very good to me for 25 years.
Two different areas involved here.  Yes, I believe Allstate was competitive when adding a trailer of fifthwheel rider, but they were totally off-the-mark on their motorhome insurance.  I've had Allstate on my cars for 33 years and still do, but I went with Progressive for MH insurance.

The NADA guide lists the original MSRP for the make & model.

I forgot to mention that the online NADA guides do not include MSRP info - it's just in the dealer/wholesale books

I have no idea what they do with the new value on an used rig - maybe just trying to get a handle on the level of options installed?  But its possoble they don't use it at all on a used vehicle - it may simply be on the form for a new one but their procedure requires all the blanks to be filled in regardless (just in case they need it for something).

As I recall in 1991 when we bought the 88 Bounder in used we were asked the same question which I had no clue and told them so.  She indicated they needed but could get it from their bank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom