KOA snoozefest. Association Island. Not fully operating.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfelber9

Hey gang. Just got back from our first trip in the new camper!!! A few topics of discussion to touch on. I'm sure everyone will have something constructive to add that I may have or have not forgotten.. LOL.

The trip there. Loaded and hooked, ready to roll. Get on the highway and start heading North on I-81 out of Syracuse to Association Island KOA in Henderson NY. Paranoid me was staring out the mirrors checking for lane position, traffic condition, and equipment issues. Had the sensation of swaying, but think that might be a tire pressure adjustment in the TV. Will follow up on that. All in all, the ride up was uneventful. Just the way we want it.

Once we got to the campground the skies opened up. Set up in a downpour. Nothing like getting that "first" checked off the list. I called ahead to set the reservation and the Rep suggested getting an extra power cable and extra water line since the hookups were at the front of the site. The site's are nice and deep, but super narrow. If I wanted to park where I originally stopped, I would have needed 3 25' power cords and 3 25'  water lines. They are set at an angle and the fire ring is behind the site, not next to in the sites we had reserved. Water front, on the West side of the island. If you wanted to hang out at the fire pit, you were staring directly at the 'business-side' of your neighbors camper. Nice if you have a group, not nice if you're alone. We walked the island while there and noticed on some of the loops they had 3 or 4 sites set up on a space that would normally accommodate 2 RV's. Hope your neighbors are nice.

The sites were designed originally for Class A, B, and C RV's. Drive-in style with the hook ups at the rear, which would be the road side of the site. Since being converted to Back-in style for all types, all they did was add a second sewer hook up. We had to re position the camper a few times to get it to where the hook ups would connect and be far enough back so as to not completely block the road way and we couldn't pull in. They have trash pick up in the morning as long as you put it out before 9am.

And it's still raining. Put out the rug. Put out the Pop-ups. Start getting "camp" ready for our first night. That we wound up spending inside playing domino's with the friends that are on the site next to us. Back outside to put everything away under the camper to keep as dry as possible.

Monday: It has stopped raining, but now the wind has changed direction and is coming off the lake. At least the May-Flies are gone. Not getting a fire going today. We hop in the truck with our friends and head out to find something to do. Hit a winery on the Thousand Island Wine trail and grab some supplies we forgot for the meals. Once we get back the wind has died down to a steady 15mph from a stiff 25mph. Might get that fire going after all. Oh, and it's about 55 degrees and everything is still wet.

Get a fire going, have dinner, stay warm. Is it camping if you're in 2 hoodies and wrapped in 2 blankets? The DW thinks so.

Tuesday: The weather is finally starting to cooperate. Wind is down to a steady 10mph coming off the lake and no rain in the forecast. Kicking around the camper to re-asses what we need, what we don't need. I guess the silver lining of being trapped inside for most of 2 days is that we were able to figure out what we need if we do get trapped again in the future. I have read a lot of posts saying folks plan for what to do outside to keep it fun, not for what to do inside when trapped. We can figure out enough to do when outside. We took a walk around an almost vacant campground. There are about 2 dozen seasonal site. Everyone was closed up since it was a Tuesday after all. It was calm on the lee-ward side of the island, too late to switch sites? There is a cool building in the middle of the island that was a "Town Hall" for GE and a few other companies that used it for meetings and company retreats. Google the history on Association Island, pretty cool. Secret groups and stuff.

Here is where things got interesting. The KOA at Association Island advertises cabins and rooms for people to rent and use. HOWEVER, They were all closed, locked, and unfinished. Why, you ask? Because the County came through and posted Stop Work Orders on all of them. I think someone forgot to get the necessary permits to do the construction they started. An entire building of about 20 "motel" like rooms closed up. This, along with the pool being on lock-down from Stop Work orders as well could make for a camp ground of angry visitors when the weather gets warm. You're not allowed to swim in the lake. 

In the grand plan of it all, the first trip wasn't a complete disaster. We made up for the crap weather with having friends with us to help keep each other occupied and distracted. The camp ground it'self wasn't bad. If the weather was nice, I'm sure the scene would have been much more fun. But again, we were there Sunday through Wednesday. Not really peak days. Would I recommend it to others? Sure. Just be ready to be on top of your neighbor and bring extra electrical and water connections.

Thank you Association Island for being our "First".

sfelber9 said:
Is it camping if you're in 2 hoodies and wrapped in 2 blankets? The DW thinks so.

LOL - absolutely!  ;D  Our first ever RV trip in our pop-up was with our two girls, 9 & 7 at the time, and two of their friends. Poured all weekend! We're still camping!

I have mixed feelings about Association Island. We've camped there twice - once before they were a KOA and once since. I absolutely LOVE the setting but you are right about the sites themselves - they are cramped. Both times we were there we stayed 2nd row on the west side.

A couple of other options for you a little further south near Pulaski:
  • Breannan Beach RV Resort, http://www.brennanbeachrvresort.com/. We like the pull-thru section in the west end of the park, rows S thru Z. 90% seasonal residents and lots of golf carts whizzing through the park but overall it's a fun place and the sunsets are really nice.
  • Southwick Beach State Park. We have not stayed here but visited friends. Large, grass sites. Electric only, though.

Sounds like the perfect first trip!  You learned more in one trip than you'd learn in a years worth of trips when everything is as you think you'd like it to be.  Plus, now it is a memorable, cool adventure story -something you may not have had if the weather wasn't off a bit.  You have a great attitude about it so I'm probably preaching to the choir.

Trapped indoors = Farkle!  Farkle + adult beverages = hours of fun.  This is true especially if you play a 6 dice Farkle = a shot of whatever adult beverage you choose.  Of course, with kids . . . I don't know, we are empty nest-ers.  :~)

If you like the Thousand Island region, check out Wellesley Island State Park. They have full hook-ups at the RV sites and with one or two exceptions, all looked easy to get into and out of. Not much shade though, and no bath house at the full hook-up area. Still, it?s a nice park right on the river. We were there around the first of October last year and it wasn?t very crowded. There were a ton of tent sights though, which makes me think it can be a busy place in the summer.

Your story reminds me of my Honeymoon (Grand Island KOA in a Thermous POP tent)
"The reminder was "The skies opened up"

We no more than got set up when Crash (Of thunder) and SPLASH of rain.  Found all the leaks in the tend. (Believe it or not there IS a way to seal a tent from inside WHILE it is leaking  Product is called Seal All.  basically it is The old Original Duco Aprplane glue. Next page.

All weekend it rained. on and off... Starting right about the time we went inside the tent and zipped it up. and ending just before we got ready to go out and do something. Never got wet all weekend  Great honeymoon. 

Slowely he turned... Step by step.. Inch by inch....

The first season we had our fifth wheel, it rained every weekend that we camped. It wasn't until the end of September that I actually used a dump station without wearing a a raincoat!

But a rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.

John From Detroit said:
Your story reminds me of my Honeymoon (Grand Island KOA in a Thermous POP tent)
"The reminder was "The skies opened up"

Slowly he turned... Step by step.. Inch by inch....

Niagara Falls................ I love the 3 Stooges.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom